RBTA spawning w/video

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I checked the tank last night when the lights came off(as I usually do) and noticed the nems were puffy like they had been other times before a spawn. And then I saw a couple eggs float by and soon after a couple hundred lol. Haven't been this excited in awhile so i figured I'd share! Hopefully I'll see some babies start popping up in a few months!

77445D6A-C986-4791-AF87-B8A4FAF5D42D.jpeg

OP
OP
mochaclownlover

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Lost in the Sauce , I did actually! I've had them the longest and had been searching for a female for awhile. Males did their thing first for about an hour and then the females. I turned off the return pump to let the them have as much contact time as possible before turning it back on. By that time there weren't many eggs floating around so I assume they settled, but if its anything like coral spawns i believe they should float for a bit? Aside from the couple i have left in isolation, I can't find any in the tank or sump to save my life so I guess ill just have to look for little pink dots in about 2 months... I tried looking up anything as far as spawning and life cycle progression but only found a couple articles that weren't too helpful

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lost in the Sauce , I did actually! I've had them the longest and had been searching for a female for awhile. Males did their thing first for about an hour and then the females. I turned off the return pump to let the them have as much contact time as possible before turning it back on. By that time there weren't many eggs floating around so I assume they settled, but if its anything like coral spawns i believe they should float for a bit? Aside from the couple i have left in isolation, I can't find any in the tank or sump to save my life so I guess ill just have to look for little pink dots in about 2 months... I tried looking up anything as far as spawning and life cycle progression but only found a couple articles that weren't too helpful
That's Awesome! Congrats.

Have found quite a few baby walkers from previous spawns.

OP
OP
mochaclownlover

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for butting in, but how do you sex BTA?
Only way ik how to is through splitting or manual splitting, but that really only works if the females are carrying eggs(I've have the female ones for probably a couple yrs at this point and didn't know till a couple months ago through an accidental tear/split). Only other sure way is probably just through having seen one spawn(the obvious answer lol) or someone telling you before buying one

Hawkaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cool! Do you know what triggered the spawning event? Did any of your eggs make it to maturity?

OP
OP
mochaclownlover

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Super cool! Do you know what triggered the spawning event? Did any of your eggs make it to maturity?
Only thing I can think was it was a full moon. The males had spawned the prior year about the same time along with a full moon, not sure how it affects them inside lol but that’s my best guess
I never found any survivors tho sadly

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back