Rbta

Michelle meriwether

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, I have a Rbta anemone, however I also have aptasia and was wondering if I should be doing anything to get rid of the aptasia? I’m not sure if it will sting my rbta or not?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, I have a Rbta anemone, however I also have aptasia and was wondering if I should be doing anything to get rid of the aptasia? I’m not sure if it will sting my rbta or not?
You could try a peppermint shrimp to get rid of your aptasia if you have alot.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should get rid of the aiptasia if you don't want it over-populating your tank.

If you rocks aren't big and moveable, I would get a cheap soldering iron ($12 In most HW stores with the thinnest tip...I like the ones by Craftsman) and spot roast the aiptasia out side of the tank... you can then rinse and put back in (though I don't bother since I burn them till it' black for good measure). Aiptasia releases spores when stressed so if you're not thorough, you'll have more down the road.

If you go this route, I would suggest using something to mark the location on the rock before taking out of water. The aiptasia deflates into a tiny gelatinous mass that's usually hard to see once out of water.

Your other opions shy of the chemical route (aiptasia-x, lemon juice, peroxide, etc) is to introduce peppermint shrimp (Atlantic variety not pacific...the latter won't do much) or a matted/bristletail/aiptasia-eating (diff names sold under) file fish. Your miles may vary here, though

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or for fun, start a pest anemone nano tank :). The reef version of the algae about one person's trash is another's treasure... lol.

I have one and it liberally is one of my favorite tanks.

Duraticate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be very proactive on getting rid of the aptasia. It can become a troublesome pest

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.2%
Back