OP
OP
R

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the finished sock silencers with the center overflow hole. These fit snug inside the filter sock rim.

The center overflow tubes are made from air conditioner drain pipe. This is thin wall plastic, something like schedule 21 PVC.

OP
OP
R

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice idea with the tray. I did something similar on a smaller scale, but glad I did. Hardly any wires visible. Following along to watch this one come together.

NanoStand.JPG

Very nice work! Looks awesome!

Thanks - your set up looks great with the cords hidden. It's got a high tech look!

Very very nice!! One of the best I’ve seen !!

Thanks - after seeing so many stands made of 2x4, I was nervous using just plywood, but it really works.

A4goulet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible work! Wish I had that kind of skill. Can't wait to see how your plumbing turns out. I'm guess its going to be top notch as well.

OP
OP
R

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placing gear in the equipment tray

The equipment tray is designed to hold the controls on the front, but the wires, plugs and transformers behind the doors. I can keep the wires to loose, making easy to unplug and remove equipment relatively easy without any disassembly. Best part is not having to see them.

Controls mounted on the face of doors. There is a gap under the doors for cords.

The there is an Apex Energy Bar and Backup Battery on each side. Strip LED lights above and below the equipment tray.

The Ecotech lights transformers are mounted on the ceiling of the stand.

It's hard to tell, but the Apex Energy bars are mounted on the back of the equipment tray. There is still space between the back of the stand and the energy bars for plumbing. You can see in this picture the wood on the back of the tray for the entry bars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing

This is a first time plumbing for a separate sump. I was nervous about leaks. I had no idea what to expect.

rus15.rb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placing gear in the equipment tray

The equipment tray is designed to hold the controls on the front, but the wires, plugs and transformers behind the doors. I can keep the wires to loose, making easy to unplug and remove equipment relatively easy without any disassembly. Best part is not having to see them.

Controls mounted on the face of doors. There is a gap under the doors for cords.

The there is an Apex Energy Bar and Backup Battery on each side. Strip LED lights above and below the equipment tray.

The Ecotech lights transformers are mounted on the ceiling of the stand.

It's hard to tell, but the Apex Energy bars are mounted on the back of the equipment tray. There is still space between the back of the stand and the energy bars for plumbing. You can see in this picture the wood on the back of the tray for the entry bars.

Love it! Great idea

OP
OP
R

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filling the tank

I used RO water to fill the tank, then mix with salt in the tank. It turns out I put too much salt in and sent the salinity off the chart. A total pain to dilute the salinity.

Slightly nervous filling the tank that the stand holds up to the weight. No deflection across the front or sway is a good sign.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand and live rock

For the past 7-8 weeks, I have been curing the Pukani rock. I placed a thin layer sand throughout the bottom. Then added the cured rock and live rock from my other tank. Then placed the rest of the sand.

The aquascape is designed high on each end, descending towards a center channel. Instead of breaking the rock into random pieces, I cut the rock into flat plates. I used the plates to create three levels of caves and openings. Although the cuts are stark, they will cover with corals and algae.

OP
OP
R

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up and running

This is the set up, fully operating. At start up, the durso overflow and drains discharge were overly loud. Adjusting the return valve and slowing down the flow quieted down considerably. This may not be a good long term solution. I am looking into other modifications.

Proflux dosing pump.

Avast Zeovit reactor. This auto shakes the Zeovit stones a couple times a day.

Neptune probes for Ph, salinity and ORP and temp.

OP
OP
R

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascape adjustments

More live rock was added to the tank. This helped to conceal some of the "cut" looking edges of the live rock. I finally corrected the salinity after starting the salt mix incorrectly. Today began day 1 of the initial high dose of bacteria.

The center opening is the focal point. There is a channel of sand from front to back for perspective.

OP
OP
R

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow

Ecotech Vortech MP-40's on each side wall and Vortech MP-10 pump on the back wall. I have all 3 pumps set at different heights. The 2 MP-40 do not face each other directly, but are offset to create a slight gyre flow.

Hard to see the 3rd pump on the back wall about halfway down.

Will try this Ecotech 3 pump flow pattern program.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your setup is very nice and inspiring! I was worried after seeing so many good progress/update posts and pics, I wasn't going to see the posts of it filled just yet!

Glad to see it up and running!

OP
OP
R

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen tops

When I bought the tank, it came with the overflow, drain and screen tops. I ran into a problem when I decided to go with the Ecotech light mounts that install on the rim. The screens needed to be notched around the light mounts to fit. There is almost the same amount of work to retrofit the screens, as there is to make them new.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back