AnglerFish-Welcome.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

I kept a variety of reef tanks in while living on the left coast during the late 1900s to early 2000s (including an acrylic 120g show tank with a 40 gallon sump), but sold all my gear to focus on family. Now I'm on the right coast, and jumping back in the deep end of the pool.

When I started reefing, I joined a message board run by Albert Thiel. This was about the time PAR was just starting to be explored for lighting reef aquariums. Did anybody ever figure out how to count a mole of photons? It's been especially interesting to see what's changed for the better (big changes: LED lights instead of metal halide or CFL, DC pumps instead of AC, affordable computer controllers, etc.), what hasn't (skimmers are improving but are substantially the same idea, natural ecosystem "filtration" vs. machinery, etc.) and what seems to have been lost (all the small vendors have been bought up into one big company). FWIW, I still have my copy of John H. Tullock's "Natural Reef Aquariums" from 1997, and I think it mostly holds up.

I'm looking forward to getting my new tank up and running with help from the internet, starting with some magic mud from IPSF (I think their website hasn't changed in 20 years either - LOL).

Welcome! Glad you joined. I'm in Texas these days, but my first apartment was in Baltimore near triple bridges/SSA. Its worth the drive out to Pacific East Aquaculture, but they are mostly wholesaler so call first - I was out in your neck of the woods this past November and made this video of them - learned so much from Dr Mac - WOW:

CONGRATULATIONS on already having your Build Thread Badge - YOU ARE ROCKING IT !!!

Its interesting you mention Miracle Mud for your upcoming build. I wasn't familiar with them, but they were just a guest speaker for our local hobby club:

This might help you find more people local to you in Baltimore:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back