Re-entering the hobby...again

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 14 year hiatus. I started in the hobby back in the late 1970s and have been in and out of the hobby probably a half dozen times. Basically every time I do a major move I sell everything and vow to be out of the hobby, only to start over again usually within a year. Guess it's in my blood. I'm restricting myself to a 15 gallon AIO in our living room and a 5.5 gallon QT... at least for now.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and welcome back to the hobby!

BB9B524B-99DF-47E6-96FF-DE4D48E5FC06.gif

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that a small tiny tank done right almost costs as much as a 50 to 60 gallon done in a conservative cost effective manner.... buying a lot of stuff used can stretch out the build phase to keep you moving slower. Aio... crap.. you can be fully stocked within a month. Done.

So skip tiny. Just go mainstream sized.

Also not sure I would bother with a qt for such a small tank.

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I could easily do a 40 breeder or even a 55 for within a hundred dollars of what I spent on the 15 but I just wanted a small tank that fit on an end table in our living room... for now.

The QT is actually going to end up as a mini-frag tank sitting on an old 40 breeder tank stand in our foyer. It already has a Prime 16HD, Nero 3, Cobalt Neo-Therm, and eShopps frag rack in it, lol. My wife loves frag tanks.
I find that a small tiny tank done right almost costs as much as a 50 to 60 gallon done in a conservative cost effective manner.... buying a lot of stuff used can stretch out the build phase to keep you moving slower. Aio... crap.. you can be fully stocked within a month. Done.

So skip tiny. Just go mainstream sized.

Also not sure I would bother with a qt for such a small tank.

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 14 year hiatus. I started in the hobby back in the late 1970s and have been in and out of the hobby probably a half dozen times. Basically every time I do a major move I sell everything and vow to be out of the hobby, only to start over again usually within a year. Guess it's in my blood. I'm restricting myself to a 15 gallon AIO in our living room and a 5.5 gallon QT... at least for now.

Attachments

• 70433.png
    70433.png
    57 KB · Views: 21

Geesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Welcome back!

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and back to the hobby! Got any pics of your tanks over the years? Would love to see the progression.

Luckily, I never thought to take pictures of my tanks. While I loved what was inside, the tanks themselves were almost always things of horror. Most of the gear was modified FW gear and hardware store fittings all hung on undrilled tanks. My first real "reef" light wasn't until the late 1980s when I bought a used CoralLife (I think) 3 foot fixture with a single-ended 400 watt MH and two T12 actinics. Most of my lighting was T12 VHOs mounted in PVC plumbing ends suspended by wires or sitting on crossbraces. I tried a few PCs when they came out but they were under-powered so they ended up lighting up corners or as fill light. The biggest advance in the hobby for me was putting props on powerheads, really improved the flow patterns. Oh well, today is WAY better.

Back