Re-PLUMBED SYSTEM ISSUE

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK : Forgive me - I am a newbie 100% lol

This is the new piping that I did and I have a situation with the UV input and output. I need some suggestions on how to re-plumb this all over because I feel like the UV output being right next to the UV input is way to close and water is flowing up the Output when it should be going the opposite to the return.

Can the correct flow direction be controlled by valve adjustments?
My current pump couldn't get the water all the way into the UV.
Is the flow going into the UV output because the pump isn't strong enough and will the flow direction be corrected if a stronger pump is installed?

I am holding off until I can get my hands on a more powerful pump. The Vectra s2 (1400gph) wasn't strong enough to get the water up the tubing into the UV. I thought about putting in some 90 degree 1in male thread by 3/4in barb to help resolve this issue but seems like a really difficult fitting to find. I really would appreciate some advice.
The first valve on the right is UV Input. The middle valve is where the uv Output to return. and the far left is going to the return with a back flow valve.
Last pic is the high tubing that the water cant get pushed up far enough into the UV. #reefsquad
IMG_3997.JPG
IMG_3991 2.JPG
IMG_3993.JPG

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK : Forgive me - I am a newbie 100% lol

This is the new piping that I did and I have a situation with the UV input and output. I need some suggestions on how to re-plumb this all over because I feel like the UV output being right next to the UV input is way to close and water is flowing up the Output when it should be going the opposite to the return.

Can the correct flow direction be controlled by valve adjustments?
My current pump couldn't get the water all the way into the UV.
Is the flow going into the UV output because the pump isn't strong enough and will the flow direction be corrected if a stronger pump is installed?

I am holding off until I can get my hands on a more powerful pump. The Vectra s2 (1400gph) wasn't strong enough to get the water up the tubing into the UV. I thought about putting in some 90 degree 1in male thread by 3/4in barb to help resolve this issue but seems like a really difficult fitting to find. I really would appreciate some advice.
The first valve on the right is UV Input. The middle valve is where the uv Output to return. and the far left is going to the return with a back flow valve.
Last pic is the high tubing that the water cant get pushed up far enough into the UV. #reefsquad
IMG_3997.JPG
IMG_3991 2.JPG
IMG_3993.JPG

It looks like your manifold is set up to feed water to both ends of the uv. Close the gate valve for the output line and unscrew the union near the gate valve on the output line and set that line to drain into your sump. Ensure your input line gate valve is open. Then turn on water to your input line to see if your pump can now feed your uv.

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your manifold is set up to feed water to both ends of the uv. Close the gate valve for the output line and unscrew the union near the gate valve on the output line and set that line to drain into your sump. Ensure your input line gate valve is open. Then turn on water to your input line to see if your pump can now feed your uv.
I'll try this- thats exactly whats happening. However, If the water feeds to the input line well, what will happen when I open the output valve? Wont there be some pressure to back flow the output line in reverse?

Got a M2 just in case. I do get the feeling this S2 isn't gonna do the job. Now I just need to get replacement fittings and a new back flow valve, my partner left them someplace and they got lost. So the whole project is on pause now.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try this- thats exactly whats happening. However, If the water feeds to the input line well, what will happen when I open the output valve? Wont there be some pressure to back flow the output line in reverse?

Got a M2 just in case. I do get the feeling this S2 isn't gonna do the job. Now I just need to get replacement fittings and a new back flow valve, my partner left them someplace and they got lost. So the whole project is on pause now.

Yes, that is why I said to disconnect the union for the output line from the manifold and let the output line run to your sump. That will prevent the back pressure issue as it will be open to atmosphere.

Once disconnected from the output gate valve, close the output line gate valve to prevent water running out there to give your input line more pressure from your pump.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back