Re-scaping with establish rock questions

Also the epoxy could cause your skimmer to go crazy for a few days! May need to shut it off.
 
Also the epoxy could cause your skimmer to go crazy for a few days! May need to shut it off.
Another reason why I like the polymer suggestion more and more!
 
So, from what I can tell this polymer is the same thing as what Micheals sells for craft molding/modeling. It's called Friendly Plastic Modeling pellets. In comparison videos it works the exact same and looks the same with claims that it is non-toxic and lead free.

Link

I'll be picking this up tomorrow and might be finished this weekend :)
 
So, from what I can tell this polymer is the same thing as what Micheals sells for craft molding/modeling. It's called Friendly Plastic Modeling pellets. In comparison videos it works the exact same and looks the same with claims that it is non-toxic and lead free.
I'll be picking this up tomorrow and might be finished this weekend :)

That's a great tip - not a whole lot cheaper than the ones marketed for our hobby but at least it's easily available in a retail store.
 
That's a great tip - not a whole lot cheaper than the ones marketed for our hobby but at least it's easily available in a retail store.
Agreed! Hopefully they have this in stock.
 
So i decided today I would try and jump on this re-scape and after pulling the rock and trying to break it, I gave up. I can't break this piece of base rock. It's about 8" x 5" x 6.5". Feels like 10-15lbs. I tried a hammer, metal mallet, some thing that look like a shiny railroad nail(made for hammering or chisel), and slamming it from 6 feet in the air. Not really sure what to do now.
 
You could try drilling a few holes in it with a masonry bit and then hitting it with a chisel.
 
You could try drilling a few holes in it with a masonry bit and then hitting it with a chisel.
I decided not to give up. Just went ahead and started chiseling. Come to find out, I have a bigger problem now. The inside of this BRS Reef Safer rock is mush. Its like wet concrete. Almost like it was never dry before it shipped to me.
 
This inside is almost milky :eek:
20170415_123805.jpg
 
I decided not to give up. Just went ahead and started chiseling. Come to find out, I have a bigger problem now. The inside of this BRS Reef Safer rock is mush. Its like wet concrete. Almost like it was never dry before it shipped to me.

Its possible that the water in the rock was low in Oxygen and lowered the pH dissolved the inner parts of the rock. Crazy what acid can do
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new