Re-Silicone?

Unstoppable algae!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Was not sure where to put this & did not see much when searching"
My 90 gallon Bow front leaked from a bottom seal. I got another used 90 gallon tank from a friend, tank was stored inside. I have never had a tank leak but do not want to go through that again... I am thinking about scraping off the original silicone and applying new.
How many people have done this with good luck? I watched a few videos on youtube and it does not look very difficult, just do not cut in-between the 2 pieces of glass.
Thanks for the help.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - the silicone on the inside of the tank is cosmetic only. It does nothing whatsoever to help maintain the actual seal which, as you noted, is the area between the panels. IMHO, if the tank is sound, I'd leave it alone. If it leaks, you have to completely disassemble all the panels and start from scratch.

Bills beginning

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking the same thing. Bought 220 used and cleaned it up and the silicon in the corners looks like this. Tank has not been leaked tested and thought best to reseal corners first.. most you tube videos I've watched say this should be no problem.
20191207_081554.jpg
20191207_081611.jpg

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inside 'bead' of silicone I've heard called the 'wet seal' - just added insurance against leaks. It is not considered structural. The Mr. Aqua 25 gallon cube I recently bought has almost no bead.
But to 'reseal' correctly you have to razor off every last bit of old silicone, down to perfectly clean glass, or the new silicone won't bond well.
I've read in other threads that experts would just pull the tank completely apart, clean perfectly and rebuild for best results.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont like the look . Pull off the old stuff (cosmetic seal) Clean it with some wax and grease remover or something similar that sdoes not leave a film. Get some GE pure silicone ( no mold reducer ) Get a silicone bead scraper/ trowel, to make a perfect looking seam.

OP
OP
Unstoppable algae!

Unstoppable algae!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advise, I may practice on an old tank in the basement to see what it would take. I am excited to start this tank build. if it looks promising I will add photos with details. Thanks again

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back