Re-use old plumbing parts

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers :)

I have re-done my plumbing a couple of times and every time i have bought new unions, fittings, elbows, bends etc.

All my projects have been glued together with PVC cement / adhesive.

Q: Is there a way to disolve the adhesive and clean all the fittings up nicely so that thet can be used again?

Thanks,

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Q: Is there a way to disolve the adhesive and clean all the fittings up nicely so that thet can be used again?

No. Not any way that I'd use, at any rate.

PVC glue isn't really glue in the traditional sense. It doesn't just secure pieces together, like thread lock. It chemically weld the pieces together.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Not any way that I'd use, at any rate.

PVC glue isn't really glue in the traditional sense. It doesn't just secure pieces together, like thread lock. It chemically weld the pieces together.
Shame..

In the bin it all goes- and im off to the hardware store again!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi Reefers :)

I have re-done my plumbing a couple of times and every time i have bought new unions, fittings, elbows, bends etc.

All my projects have been glued together with PVC cement / adhesive.

Thanks,
No and simply would not be worth it even if it were possible. Any leak in this hobby is unwelcomed and will start a chain reaction of issues.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No and simply would not be worth it even if it were possible. Any leak in this hobby is unwelcomed and will start a chain reaction of issues.
Got ya' , thanks :)

The Danish-ness in me was hoping for a more LEGO-like approach :D

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make tools to machine old pipe out of a fitting or to remove a fitting from a pipe. The only place I have used them is on drain pipes in a concrete floor. Much better option then getting a jack hammer and remove concrete. I can not think of anywhere on my tank that I would try to use it.

1674315457077.png

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make tools to machine old pipe out of a fitting or to remove a fitting from a pipe. The only place I have used them is on drain pipes in a concrete floor. Much better option then getting a jack hammer and remove concrete. I can not think of anywhere on my tank that I would try to use it.

1674315457077.png
Thanks, that is a handy too indeed- which i will never ever bring anywhere near my tank :D

I'm gonna take the advice not to try an re-use anything and head down to the shops tomorrow to pick up new parts for my next project!

:cool:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your existing components are in configurations that could work for the next setup you could cut the pipes leading in/out a few inches away from the component and then splice new stuff with the standard couplers.

For future adaptability compression couplers and/or barbed fittings to flex tubing between components could offer rapid and adjustable take-down options.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are numerous YouTube videos on how to take apart and reuse fittings…from my own experience it’s works, with some effort. I reused all the fittings from my 75 build on my 120, completely different sump and setup… that being said, it works best on more recently glued pieces than on older ones. Knocking on every piece of wood in my house… I’ve had no leaks so far from the reused fittings , 7-8 months now. Is it worth it compared to buying new? Depends on your wallet size and the level of effort you want to put into it. And, if you're concerned with looks, buy new.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back