Re-Wiring Aquatic Life Hybrid

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2 inch
Thanks to both of you @Behnken & @crabs_mcjones ! I'm definitely going to think about doing this, as it both saves a cord and looks pretty slick. Also like the idea of running the plug out of the rear, cleaning things up even more.

* Forgot to ask, what size of strain relief connectors did you guys use?

OP
OP
Behnken

Behnken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to both of you @Behnken & @crabs_mcjones ! I'm definitely going to think about doing this, as it both saves a cord and looks pretty slick. Also like the idea of running the plug out of the rear, cleaning things up even more.

* Forgot to ask, what size of strain relief connectors did you guys use?

The strain relieve connector they provide with the fixture is for 18gauge 3wire cord. Sorry I didnt see your post sooner, looks like you already completed the wiring on your fixture. Your tank build threat is great!

jakeh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got extremely lucky they were in the bin directly next to those cord fittings.

How do you like the fixture I was thinking of buying it since I hate to see my t5s go now that I got the ap700 but is it worth the buy or should I make one? Was thinking it would be nice to make one and have ballast I can dim

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the fixture I was thinking of buying it since I hate to see my t5s go now that I got the ap700 but is it worth the buy or should I make one? Was thinking it would be nice to make one and have ballast I can dim
Any chance you have a shot at a DIY I say go for it :) I'm horrible at DIY stuff, but always feel a sense of pride knowing you made it and it works ( at least sort of in my case ;) ) but yeah if you have the ability to make something for little to no cost as opposed to dropping 250+ I say go for it :)

OP
OP
Behnken

Behnken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could see the use of a female plug with a male connector to solve the manufacturing problem of different aquarium style. With a plastic cap covering the plug not used.

I actually thought about doing that with mine, but it was just more practical to rewire it. I agree for manufacturing it would be a perfect solution.

OP
OP
Behnken

Behnken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am personally really happy with it. I was afraid I wouldn’t like the overal look of it but I think it looks great. I agree with @crabs_mcjones though, if you can DYI it go for it!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After thinking on it, the wire nuts don't leave me with a good feeling. Did either of you have trouble with the braided wire? I had to run three together to feed the driver, and
The strain relieve connector they provide with the fixture is for 18gauge 3wire cord. Sorry I didnt see your post sooner, looks like you already completed the wiring on your fixture. Your tank build threat is great!
No problem. I may end up re-doing the splices, I don't like how those merretts went on with braided wire, it was hard to get a good tighten on them. I know our guys at work use some little clear three terminal lever connectors to join wiring instead of merretts, so I may see about using those.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After thinking on it, the wire nuts don't leave me with a good feeling. Did either of you have trouble with the braided wire? I had to run three together to feed the driver, and

No problem. I may end up re-doing the splices, I don't like how those merretts went on with braided wire, it was hard to get a good tighten on them. I know our guys at work use some little clear three terminal lever connectors to join wiring instead of merretts, so I may see about using those.
I'm not a big fan of wire nuts either, however I did use them, but wrapped the wires and the nuts with electrical tape to ensure that the wires won't pop out of the nut and that they won't accidentally touch eachother.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a big fan of wire nuts either, however I did use them, but wrapped the wires and the nuts with electrical tape to ensure that the wires won't pop out of the nut and that they won't accidentally touch eachother.
That was weird. I had typed the first part in another post yesterday, but it seems to not have posted, and now it added to what I just typed. ;Facepalm

iced98lx

Chris
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great work, these fixtures would be really nice if they had 3 options for power connections via a standard power input, left/right/center with one of the 3 locations being used to power both T5 balasts. I always wondered if they had two plugs to take advantage of some sort of certification the ballasts had that would be nullified if they modified the light to run both ballasts on one plug.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks sharp as a puppy's tooth.
c299334a-4e1a-4407-a4fd-6c00e93b43a8-jpeg.662310

OP
OP
Behnken

Behnken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As an electrician I can say if you used the correct sized wire nuts they will be fine. After installing them you should give them a good tug to make sure they don’t come off. You could also pull on the wires individually to make sure they are all joined correctly.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
technically you are supposed to use these now ..at least in my area

shopping
shopping

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an electrician I can say if you used the correct sized wire nuts they will be fine. After installing them you should give them a good tug to make sure they don’t come off. You could also pull on the wires individually to make sure they are all joined correctly.
Solid core I'm fine with, it was this three-braided combination that gave me issues. Felt spongy, if that makes sense.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
222-413__2_.jpg
upload_2018-3-11_17-25-33.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Behnken

Behnken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
technically you are supposed to use these now ..at least in my area

shopping
shopping
Those are a requirement for a means of disconnect to the ballast but these aren’t required to splice multiple wires in a luminaire. The second post of connectors are nice to use but also not a code requirement.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about using one of these Aquatic Life hybrids. Are the T5s covered by some clear acrylic to prevent splash damage? Looks like Kessil 360s can be mounted as close as 6.5 inches from the water's surface, which, I guess, would make the T5s mounted maybe 4.5 inches from the water's surface.

TIA...

OP
OP
Behnken

Behnken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn’t any acrylic covering the lamps but the sockets do have a rubber coating to protect against water getting onto the electrical parts.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back