Re-Wiring Aquatic Life Hybrid

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up, I got a pair of the 36” ordered. I may document the modification process in detail this time.
Any chance you get around to doing a detailed walk through on this? Got my fixture coming in next week and would love to run a single wire.

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All done! Now I have just one cord for the t5 and one for the AP700
Thank you @Behnken for the inspiration.
I found a nice little plug to plug the hole for the removed cable.
VmTDwAfh.jpg

nPw4Yg6h.jpg

7bOWiTwh.jpg

hA7hwNYh.jpg

qyTKidJh.jpg

4WL3J1ih.jpg

cuGjZ2mh.jpg

Nj28I4Qh.jpg

Wd6MjSah.jpg

What additional parts, if any, did you have to get to complete this single wire install? Connectors etc?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What additional parts, if any, did you have to get to complete this single wire install? Connectors etc?
Hole plugs and wire strain relief fittings. Solder and a soldiering iron. Screwdriver, wire strippers, wire cutters and a 1" drill bit and a drill.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7bOWiTwl.jpg

Plugs to plug the hole where the second wire was,
And cord strain fittings for where you run the cord to the other fixture.
qyTKidJl.jpg

I obtained these at my local true value hardware store.

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7bOWiTwl.jpg

Plugs to plug the hole where the second wire was,
And cord strain fittings for where you run the cord to the other fixture.
qyTKidJl.jpg

I obtained these at my local true value hardware store.
Thank you sir. I’m sure it’ll all make sense on Monday when my lights get in and I can see the unit/wires and how everything works.

I’m assuming you used the ballast power wire from unit one, cut it and linked it into the white, black and green wire on ballast two?

Sorry if my wire terminology is off but hopefully my explanation makes sense :D

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sir. I’m sure it’ll all make sense on Monday when my lights get in and I can see the unit/wires and how everything works.

I’m assuming you used the ballast power wire from unit one, cut it and linked it into the white, black and green wire on ballast two?

Sorry if my wire terminology is off but hopefully my explanation makes sense :D
Correct

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same and switched the ballast to the closer end on the rear one to save on wiring. I drilled a hole in the middle of the rear light so the cord could come out in the middle of the back

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frankly the new end covers make the wiring non issue
They solve the aesthetics, but I'd wager most of us did this mod to have a single power wire instead of two. Since it's both banks or nothing, not one from each housing which would make more sense to run "split" channel so to speak.

I'm most likely picking up the 24" kit later this summer and will repeat the mod on that as well. The hardest part is joining the split, but I picked up some of those lever connectors so it should be much easier now. I don't trust thumb nuts long term with braided wire.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other heartburn is cord is too short to reach plug so either I pull original and replace with longer or add extension cord

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
My other heartburn is cord is too short to reach plug so either I pull original and replace with longer or add extension cord

Just curious does your fixture have the original 6' power cord or the 8' power cord. Just trying to see what people are needing in the product.

Last edited:

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really good! The problem we are seeing is the variety of aquariums that the fixture is used for. As an example, I'm not sure this would work for the customers wanting to use it for a peninsula aquarium.

We are working on other layouts and designs but they are not finalized yet.

Thanks for sharing the mods to the fixture.

Checking in on this post... and the most recent post made. How are the alternative layouts progressing? My DIY skills are negligible so I have avoided trying this "hack"

If you're still taking feedback, if a single chord is not an option then for my set up at least having the chords exiting the same side of the fixture would be helpful.

Keep up the awesome work and customer interaction!

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
The existing unit will likely not have any more changes made to it. Have you seen the new decorative covers that hide the T5 wires and the LED wires?

The new white units will have the decorative covers included as we figure these will be out in the living areas and will need to hide the cords.

The "in process" dimming hybrid unit will have a single power cord with 0 -10V input. Since this unit would be fully assembled we would have the single power cord. However it will not be adjustable like the current unit is, as the wires will be running through the ends of the fixture. So it will be fixed at the 18" width and all the existing 18" hybrid fixtures parts will work with the fixture. Just can't adjust to 16" or 23.25".

Thanks for the input. Are you running a peninsula tank?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back