Re-Wiring Aquatic Life Hybrid

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn’t any acrylic covering the lamps but the sockets do have a rubber coating to protect against water getting onto the electrical parts.

Thanks for the info. While one could claim that 1/16" acrylic alters the spectrum of the light passing through it, I would rather have the acrylic shield as it is easier to maintain. A damp paper towel is certainly simpler to use on it than on the individual bulbs and on the reflectors behind them.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who drilled your aluminum to move the wire strain reliefs (and power plug), did you just drill a round hole? I thought wire strain nuts were oval? Any issue with the holes being round, i.e. can they twist now?

PH-65-1060B-1.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who drilled your aluminum to move the wire strain reliefs (and power plug), did you just drill a round hole? I thought wire strain nuts were oval? Any issue with the holes being round, i.e. can they twist now?

PH-65-1060B-1.jpg
I drilled a 1/2" round hole, they pop in and hold just fine :)

OP
OP
Behnken

Behnken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding! What's the address to send the fixture to, how much, and what's the turn around time....thanks! :D

What size fixture do you have? I’m upgrading tanks and will be selling my 48” before to long and plan on getting dual 36”.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats funny but not in a way, this really should be coming out of manufacturer with cords on same side not necessarily same end, mot people would probable prefer 2 cords for staged/timed lighting

OP
OP
Behnken

Behnken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good point, I would think someone wanting staged/Timed lighting would want the outer lamps and inner lamps to be switched separately though. That would keep your light spread balanced.

OP
OP
Behnken

Behnken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, but I love how much better the tank looks with the blend of LED’s and T-5’s.

I’m very happy with the light even with the extra work to mod it.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s a great product and would consider buying but hate to take apart a brand new item
I felt the same initially, but the fixture is about as basic as you can get (not a bad thing). It's kind of begging to be modded, but if that's not in the area of comfortability, it looks like some of the big boys have taken notice and are going to be bringing their own T5 + your LED fixtures to market this year.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size fixture do you have? I’m upgrading tanks and will be selling my 48” before to long and plan on getting dual 36”.
Nice job on the rewiring. I have the 48" as well. Even with the opposing wires I was able to get the fixture up neatly and the wires out of the way. I'm pretty handy and if so inclined might tackle the same rewiring to my fixture when I do the next bulb change.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. Anything I need to keep an eye out for that gave you trouble when doing the rewire?
Measure your cable length like 3x and leave enough room to both get the nuts on safely / securely, and be able to stuff them back in the extrusion profile.

OP
OP
Behnken

Behnken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also bought an extra long cord so it would reach my outlet without needing to use another extension cord.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am in the market but was waiting for another sale on these. When do you plan on putting it up for sale? I might be interested :)

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was waiting on a sale to come around before I bought my new ones.

FYI BRS has them on sale this weekend for 10% off. Preferred members early access today. Just ordered one :)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very excited to see the release of the Aquatic Life Hybrid fixture, but was a little hesitant to order one after seeing how they were wired. I’m a fan of clean installs and the thought of wires coming from both ends really made me question if I would be okay with the look.

I ended up ordering one during the Black Friday sale and finally recieved it this week. During the waiting period, I decided that I would modify the wiring once I got it. It took a good portion of the day to rewire and hang the fixture, but I have to say I’m really happy that I bought it. The added T5’s to the LED’s dramatically changed the look of the tank.

Here are some before and after pictures.

Before wiring changes
503207BC-EEC6-4187-BAD6-9FF3417331FE.jpeg

Wiring ran between the two fixtures
E7570693-65A5-4967-9FB9-0ABB82811336.jpeg

Wiring complete.

I bought a 15’ cord and installed in the middle of the fixture so the wiring would be hidded behind my overflow.
C299334A-4E1A-4407-A4FD-6C00E93B43A8.jpeg

Fixture Installed
0E9D84E6-6911-4B2C-B7E9-67C217202BDA.jpeg

Very clean look. We like

Back