Reactor Issues - can't keep GFO media from floating

Detour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I recently purchased 6x12 Bashsea media reactors and after modifying the inlet/outlet fittings to be vertical barbed instead of vertical slip, successfully had one running with 1.5 cups of BRS GFO without issue (the other is for as needed carbon) I'm using a Sicce 1.0 feed pump and have a ball valve on the inlet. Flow rate adjusted to gently tumble the surface of the media.

Forward to a week later and the bottom sponge and media are tight to the top sponge.

The Bashsea design uses an o-ring around the internal center tube to hold the top sponge raised. So - I pulled that o-ring off of the unused reactor and put it above the lower sponge on the in use GFO reactor (with same media, just worked it down the center pipe when filled with water). Turned it back on - and the sponge, new o-ring and media gently floated to the top.

Is this a common issue? Is there a fix? Should I be looking at a different media reactor solution?

Photo of GFO reactor - note that the pump is turned off in this photo and the sponge and media do not return to a lower position.

tempImageGrzWdj.jpg

Photo of Carbon reactor empty and dry to show sponge configuration without media.
tempImageMtJdcq.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this happens a lot. I would not worry unless you find it turning into a brick.

OP
OP
D

Detour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this happens a lot. I would not worry unless you find it turning into a brick.
How do you adjust for flow if you don't have a media surface to judge the tumble of?

I've always used the canister style reactors (BRS) before this - and never had this issue to contend with.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with last 2 posts. Find a way to secure the bottom sponge. I was thinking some fishing line to tie the sponge to the bottom plate.

OP
OP
D

Detour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try putting the bottom sponge under the bottom grid or just remove the bottom sponge altogether.
sponge under isn't ideal, but might be an option - as that would still prevent media from getting into the feed pump in the event of a back siphon (pump failure, etc .)

I'd prefer to find a way to secure the sponge above the bottom rigid piece in the reactor. Or go back to a canister style...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back