Reading Seachem Ammonia Badge

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an ammonia badge for my 20 gallon quarantine tank. Fish have been in it about 5 days and noticed the color changing a bit so I did a 5 gallon water change. 4 hours later the color hasnt gone completely back yet. My question is do you read it with light shining from the front or I read someone said to shine light from the back which both give you a completely different color, whats the correct way?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Light shining from the back will give you a more accurate reading. I’ve also noticed that with the badges I’ve never really seen it completely yellow. Maybe it’s just me.

DinoMagnet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My badge is yellow soon as lights are on but after some hours changes to hint of green/bluish . I really don’t believe they are accurately working. Personally if it’s not super dark I feel it’s nothing to worry about?. What do you guys use to test ammonia?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found over the years that they are complete garbage. used to use them all the time for QT tanks. One day all my QT'ed fish died in QT, ammonia badge shows 0 ammonia. Took it out and even put a drop of ammonia directly on the thing, never changed color.

I will never rely on them again. Heck a $5 API ammonia kit is more accurate, and we all know how well and accurate API kits are.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back