Ready for a Bubbletip?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my lfs has BTAs for an amazing price, and gorgeous anenomes to boot. Never had an anenome, and it will likely be the most finicky critter in my tank, though a solid argument could be made for my Hippo.

Anyways, I think I am ready to take on a BTA, but also have some concerns, given their nature and ability to nuke a tank on death.

I know they require nitrates to be below 20ish. I haven't tested in a while, but last I did mine were about 35, though I haven't exactly been up on my water changes of late due to work schedule.

They can be prone to getting chopped up by powerheads. I'm only running one Jaebo, and can easily throw some nylon stocking over it.

Is there anything else I should know or be concerned about before making the purchase? I want to get one for my clown before he gets too big.

If it matters, my tank has been running since February, and coralline grows pretty well. Or rather, it was until my urchin developed a taste for it.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, needs great light.
Doesn’t like changes in Salinity, Temp and Nitrates.
I’m not concerned about your nitrate number provided it’s consistent.
Put him in with flow off 1 hour, then restart, he should stick.
Do not interfere with his movement.
Once placed, never touch him again.
You can feed occasionally, tiny pieces krill, shrimp, fish, but small.
You don’t have to feed at all.
F343110C-FE2D-46DF-AEB6-67E402EDBFF0.jpeg

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Far as my testing has shown, it's all pretty stable. I run 2 165w Mars aqua lights. Currently at about 70%. Unsure of the PAR, but I've heard of folks using these with BTAs no problem.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of clown do you have, BTAs aren’t a natural host to most clown fish. Some will go in others don’t. I have 6 BTAs in my tank and my clown pair avoid them all.

Maroon Clown. Captive bred, so I know there's a chance he won't take to it, but I also like BTAs, so it's a win no matter what.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp 76.3f
SG 1.023
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
I don't have tests for anything else.

Green and aussie star polyps are growing pretty well.
Sorry have to say, you say you think you are ready for a bta but also say you haven’t tested your nitrate in a while and you only know your very basic parameters! I’m not trying to be a jerk here but are you really ready or think you are just because there are some bta’s going cheap?

Last edited by a moderator:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my lfs has BTAs for an amazing price, and gorgeous anenomes to boot. Never had an anenome, and it will likely be the most finicky critter in my tank, though a solid argument could be made for my Hippo.

Anyways, I think I am ready to take on a BTA, but also have some concerns, given their nature and ability to nuke a tank on death.

I know they require nitrates to be below 20ish. I haven't tested in a while, but last I did mine were about 35, though I haven't exactly been up on my water changes of late due to work schedule.

They can be prone to getting chopped up by powerheads. I'm only running one Jaebo, and can easily throw some nylon stocking over it.

Is there anything else I should know or be concerned about before making the purchase? I want to get one for my clown before he gets too big.

If it matters, my tank has been running since February, and coralline grows pretty well. Or rather, it was until my urchin developed a taste for it.
Bta don't care about nitrates or phosphates. My tank settled at 100 ish nitrates and 0.25ish phosphates.
20201101_213837.jpg

There's 2 bta in the pic mother and clone. The tenticles in the background is the clone. Some of the easier nems. You'll do fine. Moderate flow and moderate light. mine sits around 150par and slightly above moderate flow.

Sit the nem In a decent void where they can sink thier foot in.

Last edited:

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroon Clown. Captive bred, so I know there's a chance he won't take to it, but I also like BTAs, so it's a win no matter what.
Play a video of a maroon in a bta. Its thier preferred anemone. In the wild they will kick other non maroons out of btas. You should have good success with the nem hosting the clown.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Play a video of a maroon in a bta. Its thier preferred anemone. In the wild they will kick other non maroons out of btas. You should have good success with the nem hosting the clown.

I have heard that method, as rediculous as it sounds, I've heard it works. I'll give it a shot if he doesn't take to it.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bta don't care about nitrates or phosphates. My tank settled at 100 ish nitrates and 0.25ish phosphates.
20201101_213837.jpg

There's 2 bta in the pic mother and clone. The tenticles in the background is the clone. Some of the easier nems. You'll do fine. Moderate flow and moderate light. mine sits around 150par and slightly above moderate flow.

Sit the. In a decent void where they can sink thier foot in.

I have a spot picked out, relatively flat, about midway up the water column. The clown in question already hangs out in that area too. Gets pretty good flow from the powerhead too.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spot picked out, relatively flat, about midway up the water column. The clown in question already hangs out in that area too. Gets pretty good flow from the powerhead too.
Is there a good hole foe the bta to sink its foot. They like holes and crevices to secure in.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that method, as rediculous as it sounds, I've heard it works. I'll give it a shot if he doesn't take to it.
I did it to my maroon and 3 min later was in the anemone.
@Erin O did the same thing her ocellaris clowns took a couple of days. Bta not a natural ocellaris host.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a good hole foe the bta to sink its foot. They like holes and crevices to secure in.

Typical aquarium rock surface.
Don't mind the aiptasia, I've been trying to kill it for ages but it keeps retracting.
I'd move the barnacle too, make room. Clown is currently living under it.

Attachments

• DSC_2209.JPG
    DSC_2209.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 44

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical aquarium rock surface.
Don't mind the aiptasia, I've been trying to kill it for ages but it keeps retracting.
I'd move the barnacle too, make room. Clown is currently living under it.

If you can pull the rock i would super glue it or use f aptasia. .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back