Ready for my first anemone

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 month old 42g tank currently houses 4 clownfish, 2 skunk shrimp and 4 snails.

Am getting ready for my first anemone to add to the tank, and trying to learn a little more about it.

Quarantine
What is best practise to introducing an anemone to a tank?
I currently have a QT, but the tank have been used with medication including copper. Yes I do understand anemone cannot be placed in any water that contains copper.

Introducing
How do you place it in the DT, positioning, etc? I understand they can move to a preferred spot.

Maintaining
Are there any specific water parameter requirements for keeping anemones?

Feeding
What would be best to feed?

Throw it at me, throw any wonderful facts about anemones, would love to know more about it!

NeedMoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
around 20 years ago I had a huge condy in an 80 gallon tank with a few large tomato clowns. they move around at first before settling in. There might be some anemone tank threads you could read through.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 months isn't really a good time frame for adding anemones, it's better to wait closer to a yr to give your tank time to settle in better. I know it's alot to look at but check out this search I did here on the forum, they wont all be a when to add but wll give you lots of info.

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first piece of advice is to wait. Anemones do much better in a mature tank (1 yr old or more). This time allows the tank to stabilize which is very important to a new anemone.
Second piece of advice is that all anemones are not the same. Research the type of anemone you want to get and find out the requirements. In general anemones require high light and stable parameters, but there are specifics that go with the different species.
Third would be to find out which type of anemone is a natural host for the type of clowns you have. Yes different types of clownfish prefer different types of anemone as a host. That doesn't mean they wont go to a different type but it will likely be more difficult to get them to accept each other if not a natural combination.

As with anything you put in your tank, research first is the rule. A friend of mine has a saying that I use frequently. A reef tank is like a race car. The faster you go the harder you crash.

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first piece of advice is to wait. Anemones do much better in a mature tank (1 yr old or more). This time allows the tank to stabilize which is very important to a new anemone.
Second piece of advice is that all anemones are not the same. Research the type of anemone you want to get and find out the requirements. In general anemones require high light and stable parameters, but there are specifics that go with the different species.
Third would be to find out which type of anemone is a natural host for the type of clowns you have. Yes different types of clownfish prefer different types of anemone as a host. That doesn't mean they wont go to a different type but it will likely be more difficult to get them to accept each other if not a natural combination.

As with anything you put in your tank, research first is the rule. A friend of mine has a saying that I use frequently. A reef tank is like a race car. The faster you go the harder you crash.

I would heed this advice and that of the other poster. Two months isn't nearly enough time for your tank to get well established. When the time comes your best bet for success is a tank raised BTA. Others may disagree, but anemones are the only thing I don't QT since QT's are often times too sterile. I just pour out the water in the bag before placing it.

OP
OP
J

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all your responses. I will most definitely hold on purchasing one until my tank is more established.
In terms of water parameters? is there anything to be wary of?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back