Ready to QT

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very happy that my tank is cycled (twice actually as I dosed ammonia a second time for test period).
Ammonia 0
Nitirite 0
Nitrate 5-10
Salt 1.025
Temp 77

I have a 10 gal qt tank with heater, HOB filter, seeded sponge from my DT, lid, PVC fish houses, and ammonia alert. This is my first tank and first time doing a QT so if y'all could let me know if my planned process is good I'd appreciate it!

Also should I be ghost feeding my tank while I have my fish in QT to keep bacteria fed?

Day 1
- Add water from DT (fully cycled, no fish currently in there, above parameters)
- Add Seeded sponge to filter
- Acclimate fish to DT water and release.

Day-1-2
- monitor with no meds
- Planning 10% water change everyday

Day 3
- Prazipro dose and let sit for 7 days (if I am doing water changes do i need to redose prazi- the dose is literally 1/2 teaspoon for 10 gal- so like a few drops?)

Day 10
- 50% water change
- Dose Cupramine and raise to therapeutic levels over 3 days.

Days 13-29
- Maintain copper at therapeutic levels for 16 days

Day 30
- Acclimate and move fish to DT

Thoughts?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes,
Very happy that my tank is cycled (twice actually as I dosed ammonia a second time for test period).
Ammonia 0
Nitirite 0
Nitrate 5-10
Salt 1.025
Temp 77

I have a 10 gal qt tank with heater, HOB filter, seeded sponge from my DT, lid, PVC fish houses, and ammonia alert. This is my first tank and first time doing a QT so if y'all could let me know if my planned process is good I'd appreciate it!

Also should I be ghost feeding my tank while I have my fish in QT to keep bacteria fed?

Day 1
- Add water from DT (fully cycled, no fish currently in there, above parameters)
- Add Seeded sponge to filter
- Acclimate fish to DT water and release.

Day-1-2
- monitor with no meds

Day 3
- Prazipro dose and let sit for 7 days (if I am doing water changes do i need to redose prazi- the dose is literally 1/2 teaspoon for 10 gal- so like a few drops?)

Day 10
- 50% water change

Days 13-29

Day 30

Thoughts?
ghost feed a small amount. Do not make errors on dosing meds, be as precise as possible. And yes, with WCs you must add meds to compensate for the amount removed. You don't need to use water from DT, ammonia processing is in rocks and media.

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes,

ghost feed a small amount. Do not make errors on dosing meds, be as precise as possible. And yes, with WCs you must add meds to compensate for the amount removed. You don't need to use water from DT, ammonia processing is in rocks and media.
So just mix some fresh RO/DI and salt?

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would transfer from the qt to a fresh non medicated bucket of saltwater before the dt. This would help prevent cross contaminantion. Some people would put the fish under observation for 2 weeks to make sure the qt was successful. Observation would have to be done in another tank or you would have to sterilize the qt and all the equipment. Qt tank should be 10' away from anything else alto to prevent cross contaminantion also. If you are using the same salt mix and your parameters are the same (temp, ph, salinity) there is no need to acclimate.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some thoughts. I do like your overall plan.
There's no need to do that. My QT sits empty for months at a time and is still cycled when I add fish.
In a cycled tank, there isn't a need to change water that often. It just complicates things. Are you adding a bunch of fish at once and worried about water quality?
Day 3
I like the plan of dosing Prazi twice 7 days apart. The daily water changes make it a pain. Just skip them, and then change water once in between dosing, if you want to change water. Prazi actually degrades, so it will be gone by the time you do your second dose.
Day 10
- 50% water change
I would suggest not using Cupramine, and using chelated copper instead. Copper Power and Coppersafe are easier on fish.
Days 13-29

Day 30

Thoughts?
If you never see any signs of ich or velvet, and you've maintained 2+ ppm copper for 16 days, that should work fine theoretically. If you see and signs, I would go a good couple of weeks after seeing the last spot.

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some thoughts. I do like your overall plan.

There's no need to do that. My QT sits empty for months at a time and is still cycled when I add fish.

In a cycled tank, there isn't a need to change water that often. It just complicates things. Are you adding a bunch of fish at once and worried about water quality?

I like the plan of dosing Prazi twice 7 days apart. The daily water changes make it a pain. Just skip them, and then change water once in between dosing, if you want to change water. Prazi actually degrades, so it will be gone by the time you do your second dose.

I would suggest not using Cupramine, and using chelated copper instead. Copper Power and Coppersafe are easier on fish.

If you never see any signs of ich or velvet, and you've maintained 2+ ppm copper for 16 days, that should work fine theoretically. If you see and signs, I would go a good couple of weeks after seeing the last spot.
1. I meant ghost feed my DT since there are no fish as this is the first QT- also how often?
2. 10% water change to QT tank daily not DT- to avoid ammonia spikes
3. noted on the other comments thanks!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I meant ghost feed my DT since there are no fish as this is the first QT- also how often?
I understand. If the display tank is cycled, there's no need to do that. It can sit months, maybe longer, and still be cycled.
2. 10% water change to QT tank daily not DT- to avoid ammonia spikes
I would monitor ammonia, and change water if needed. Daily 10% likely isn't needed.

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I start my light cycle in my DT while I’m QTing my fish to start getting some algae?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back