JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie question alert!

I’m assuming a person should only order something like this if they have an established tank of 6+ months or more, is that correct?

No, this went into a brand new tank. I even added a fish and a coral a few days later after ammonia disappeared.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gulfs prices are pretty ridiculous compared to the others. 70 bucks for 10lbs. KP was like 248 for 15 or 20lbs.

Alot of people start their tanks with live rock. It can be an issue with certain hitchhikers, but part of the fun is biodiversity and free gifts that come along with the rock. It's hit or miss on whether or not you get something nasty. So imo a new tank with nothing else in it is probably the best place to add live rock. That way you can catch/notice something easier.

@JCM I'm not sure what those are either. I'd like to know as well!

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a baby urchin that came on the KP rock. It's no bigger than a pencils eraser.

20210412_004906.jpg

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, you can start a tank with live rock. You don’t necessarily have to wait. In fact, if you are starting fresh, any die off could just happen in your tank as part of the initial cycle rather than having to “cure” the rock.
Would it be okay to purchase this if I have two baby clownfish in the tank? I’d hate to be an irresponsible parent. Lol! I’m new to the REAL live rock discussion. Since I’ve started all I’ve heard people talk about is all the artificial rock like, life rock (caribsea, etc..) and such. None of the LFS have real live rock and after awhile I started to think getting it was not an option.

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be okay to purchase this if I have two baby clownfish in the tank? I’d hate to be an irresponsible parent. Lol! I’m new to the REAL live rock discussion. Since I’ve started all I’ve heard people talk about is all the artificial rock like, life rock (caribsea, etc..) and such. None of the LFS have real live rock and after awhile I started to think getting it was not an option.

For Sure, just put the rock in a tub for a few days until ammonia disappears. Use those couple of days to check for unwanted critters on the rock.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always an option. But those options are limited to a few companies, and generally pretty expensive. You'd want to be careful with livestock already, because the die off could trigger an ammonia spike, which could kill your livestock quickly.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gulfliverock.com has a nano package, 17 lbs deco rock for $85 shipped. Some die off, but clams, feather dusters, sponges, coralline, halemedia, crabs, limpets, worms all survived 3 days to nh.

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Sure, just put the rock in a tub for a few days until ammonia disappears. Use those couple of days to check for unwanted critters on the rock.
I may be a little too green for this task. Only reason I say that is because I’m not sure which critters are bad or good yet. I really want one though! I wish I never saw this post. Lol!!!!

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always an option. But those options are limited to a few companies, and generally pretty expensive. You'd want to be careful with livestock already, because the die off could trigger an ammonia spike, which could kill your livestock quickly.
Definitely not a problem I want to run into

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be a little too green for this task. Only reason I say that is because I’m not sure which critters are bad or good yet. I really want one though! I wish I never saw this post. Lol!!!!

Mostly just pistol shrimp which you'll hear and mithrax crabs which are big enough to see easily. There's a small chance of other stuff but worth the risk for the diversity the rock adds in my opinion.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was like you 2 years ago. I was too chicken to do it lol. I really wish I had though. You can play it safe with the dry rock, or the "live lfs" rock, but you can get some really cool stuff for nearly the same price as the lfs rock, with more and more diverse organisms

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was like you 2 years ago. I was too chicken to do it lol. I really wish I had though. You can play it safe with the dry rock, or the "live lfs" rock, but you can get some really cool stuff for nearly the same price as the lfs rock, with more and more diverse organisms

Agreed, though I don't know that dry rock is playing it safe. There's a good change you'll be overrun with dino's, bryopsis, gha, aptasia, etc. There's no competition, so pests can easily take over.

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't focus very well on this rock, but these 4 things are something. They aren't part of the rock, again no idea what they are exactly.

20210414_200920.jpg

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, though I don't know that dry rock is playing it safe. There's a good change you'll be overrun with dino's, bryopsis, gha, aptasia, etc. There's no competition, so pests can easily take over.
Thats true, too. Both tanks got dinos and I couldn't do anything to rid them of it in time. Lost most of my livestock to it.

Either way it's a gamble. You just have to figure out what you're willing to go through. I can't fault you either way!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back