Real Live Rock

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have converted to the live rock tribe. I have about 75lbs of marco rock for aquascaping but I still want some live rock for the biodiversity.

my question is do you all think something like 25 or 30lbs of live rock would be a good enough amount to bolster biodiversity and seed the rest of the rock work? As of now that’s about all I can afford if I go with overnight shipping and water. Ideally I could get more if I waited several months but my build is already 2 years in the making and I’m ready to get it set up.

side note, down the line I plan on adding more live rock from a different vendor to further bolster the biodiversity
More the better but yes 30lbs will seed just fine. I'm not sure if I would add more once established. Pests are easier to monitor and clear out in a new tank. What happens if a rock crab gets into an established reef? Sounds like a bad day tracking that dude down.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise quarantining it in some way. There are a few hitch hikers you will want to avoid outside of the display if you can

I have a 40b I was going to use as a quarantine so that shouldn’t be a problem. How long would you recommend and what sort of hitch hikers are you thinking? I know stone crabs are a possibility as well as hobbit worms. What else would you recommend a person watch for?

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40b I was going to use as a quarantine so that shouldn’t be a problem. How long would you recommend and what sort of hitch hikers are you thinking? I know stone crabs are a possibility as well as hobbit worms. What else would you recommend a person watch for?
Conflicting information about the invasiveness aiptasia species found within the gulf. I tend to try and get rid of all anenomes regardless. There are a few known "safe" types like curlycue but none are especially attractive so rather than fretting over species I do super glue over all of them.

Really bobbits, crabs, nems are about it. Pistol shrimp really don't matter. The mantis species in the gulf with one exception stay small and are smashers. I removed my two wennare but there are multiple instances of people keeping them in reefs with no impact other than needing to add some refills of snails. My guess is most fear of mantis is rooted in the peacocks and other monsters from the old pacific rock.

Last edited:

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have converted to the live rock tribe. I have about 75lbs of marco rock for aquascaping but I still want some live rock for the biodiversity.

my question is do you all think something like 25 or 30lbs of live rock would be a good enough amount to bolster biodiversity and seed the rest of the rock work? As of now that’s about all I can afford if I go with overnight shipping and water. Ideally I could get more if I waited several months but my build is already 2 years in the making and I’m ready to get it set up.

side note, down the line I plan on adding more live rock from a different vendor to further bolster the biodiversity
My experience is that with the smaller AIO this 1.5-2 lbs per gallon, DOESN'T WORK FOR SMALLER AQUARIUMS. My brother and I have identical tanks and he ordered 20 lbs just for his 12 gallon tank. When they arrived, it was way, way, way too, too much! In fact he gave me what you see, we divided up by 10 for me and 10 for him.

He got two hitchhikers, baby small matis and pistol shrimp, he decided to keep both and they are happy with his fish. The Mantis is a tiny purple species, not the peacock but a smaller species like I said.

This is his KPA live rocks he kept, remember this is 10 lbs from the 20 lbs that was ordered. You saw mine already, this is his from January, this year.

Attachments

• 388.thumb.jpg.076b27c121a6a323becd4b82291f2aac.jpg
    388.thumb.jpg.076b27c121a6a323becd4b82291f2aac.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20210126_082720_699.thumb.jpg.2e62baa777eab1ea06d9479bac5e05e4.jpg
    IMG_20210126_082720_699.thumb.jpg.2e62baa777eab1ea06d9479bac5e05e4.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20210126_082720_700.jpg.f123bd81210e343c9839b6b04f86acb1.jpg
    IMG_20210126_082720_700.jpg.f123bd81210e343c9839b6b04f86acb1.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 81

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is that with the smaller AIO this 1.5-2 lbs per gallon, DOESN'T WORK FOR SMALLER AQUARIUMS. My brother and I have identical tanks and he ordered 20 lbs just for his 12 gallon tank. When they arrived, it was way, way, way too, too much! In fact he gave me what you see, we divided up by 10 for me and 10 for him.

He got two hitchhikers, baby small matis and pistol shrimp, he decided to keep both and they are happy with his fish. The Mantis is a tiny purple species, not the peacock but a smaller species like I said.

This is his KPA live rocks he kept, remember this is 10 lbs from the 20 lbs that was ordered. You saw mine already, this is his from January, this year.

Gotcha. I always wondered about that. Fortunately my DT is 120g. The 40b is just going to be my quarantine tank. Eventually, assuming I can convince my better half, I may add a small frag tank.

and yeah, looking at your pics got me excited. Seems the coralline will move to other rocks fairly quickly

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I always wondered about that. Fortunately my DT is 120g. The 40b is just going to be my quarantine tank. Eventually, assuming I can convince my better half, I may add a small frag tank.

and yeah, looking at your pics got me excited. Seems the coralline will move to other rocks fairly quickly
I was out of the hobby for like 5 years and when I came back and started my small 12 gallon AIO, I went to the LFS and said I will take some live rock, and they said okay it's over there. I was like man that has a ton of purple coraline, and they were yeah, it is sprayed on the rock and they told me the whole story about no more live rock like back in the days, when I ordered boxes of live rock and for my 90 gallon bowfront. I couldn't do it, I wanted live rock all the excitement of opening the box and setting up the reef, I needed that again.

So, I looked online and asked other reefers and found out the KPA aquatics does aquaculture here in Florida, and I am in Florida, so long story, we ordered and we have been so happy since!

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out of the hobby for like 5 years and when I came back and started my small 12 gallon AIO, I went to the LFS and said I will take some live rock, and they said okay it's over there. I was like man that has a ton of purple coraline, and they were yeah, it is sprayed on the rock and they told me the whole story about no more live rock like back in the days, when I ordered boxes of live rock and for my 90 gallon bowfront. I couldn't do it, I wanted live rock all the excitement of opening the box and setting up the reef, I needed that again.

So, I looked online and asked other reefers and found out the KPA aquatics does aquaculture here in Florida, and I am in Florida, so long story, we ordered and we have been so happy since!

man, I’m jealous you’re so close to the source! I’m in Indiana so it’s shipping for me. In any case, I’m just grateful a newbie like me still has options for live/maricultured rock now that I’ve learned more

Mike S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough decisions whether to QT the rock. One thing that was suggested by the folks at KP was yo give the rock a high salinity soak to drive out any potential pests. I found a few crabs, shrimp, hermits and bristle worms by soaking each rock in a bucket for a few minutes. Shrimp, hermits and bristle worms went into my tank. Still have found lots of life regardless so I don’t think it was too effective. I’ve been looking at night with a flashlight and haven’t seen anything too concerning. I did pull out what I think was a fire worm earlier today that was crawling along my rocks. I’m not put any significant number of corals in my tank for a few months so I can chase down critters if needed.

taulgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been following this thread and decided 2 weeks ago to buy 20 lbs of Gulf Live Rock. Didn’t splurge for airfreight in water - it arrived via 3 day yesterday. I’m brand new to reefing but it looks like lots of great coraline, macroalgae (some of which is already dying) and one awesome 3” clam. Was hoping for a crab or shrimp but, so far, looks like I just got the clam. No other life forms in the rinse bucket or QT tank/bin.

Can someone please tell me what the tall, rust colored thing is in the upper right corner? (Clam is below it in lower right corner).
9275C47A-520D-473D-95F4-82EEA7948D3D.jpeg
7A59DA84-993A-48C5-B411-53E5AC09D1B8.jpeg

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been following this thread and decided 2 weeks ago to buy 20 lbs of Gulf Live Rock. Didn’t splurge for airfreight in water - it arrived via 3 day yesterday. I’m brand new to reefing but it looks like lots of great coraline, macroalgae (some of which is already dying) and one awesome 3” clam. Was hoping for a crab or shrimp but, so far, looks like I just got the clam. No other life forms in the rinse bucket or QT tank/bin.

Can someone please tell me what the tall, rust colored thing is in the upper right corner? (Clam is below it in lower right corner).
9275C47A-520D-473D-95F4-82EEA7948D3D.jpeg
7A59DA84-993A-48C5-B411-53E5AC09D1B8.jpeg
Definitely a sponge.

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from the sponges, clams and algae I never saw anything on it. I'm still very happy with the combination of it and the KP rock.

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% worth it, so much better than starting with dry rock. I'd suggest the overnight shipping to avoid unnecessary die off.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah first 2 tanks were started with dry, wanting a little more excitement this time around

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah first 2 tanks were started with dry, wanting a little more excitement this time around

We spends hours each day staring at the rock, finding something new every time. Most of which I could never identify. My wife who was indifferent to the idea of a new tank is obsessed with the rock.

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I received my 35 lbs of rock from Gulf Live Rock today. Overall I am happy. The amount of life on the rock is impressive, 7 or 8 types of algae, multiple colors of corraline, a big gorgonian/soft coral and at least 7 clams the biggest of which was over 4 inches.

The downside was the shipping. It was a 3 day trip to Texas. They packaged it well, double bagged and covered in wet paper towels. I think 3 days is too much though, as soon as I put it in water, ammonia spiked. I did large water changes and tried to neutralize it with Prime but I worry about how much die off I'll see. I guess time will tell.
Newbie question alert!

I’m assuming a person should only order something like this if they have an established tank of 6+ months or more, is that correct?

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie question alert!

I’m assuming a person should only order something like this if they have an established tank of 6+ months or more, is that correct?

Nah, you can start a tank with live rock. You don’t necessarily have to wait. In fact, if you are starting fresh, any die off could just happen in your tank as part of the initial cycle rather than having to “cure” the rock.

Back