Realistic Quarantine Time for New Coral Pack

MarsWulf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have 5 new LPS coral frags in a QT with new T5s and some live rock. My last batch of quarantine was in quarantine for too long and I lost my most expensive corals including a Bleeding Apple Scoli - too long being 10 months due job loss due to COVID postponing my entire tank.

With corals dieing, I had to get my QT up an running... Which I did. My corals in my 120 G 4ft DT are under 2 Kessil a360xs and have a Vortect MP40, etc...

I ordered an LPS frag pack from WWC. They suggested I not dip my corals for a week... So, they went straight into the QT wothout a dip first... Not a good idea... I know.

Anyhow, I dipped my frags last night and put them back into the QT. The small 20G high with Coralife T5s just is a tough environment for these corals.

I know two months is probably what the new LPS frags need to go in QT... I have seen things like aphasia pop up after 4 months in QT... So...

But - I'm wondering what you all think is a realistic coral QT time. If I had a better light for the QT, sump, etc... Sure a few months is no problem - but with my QT setup... I dunno.

Opinions?

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lps should not be difficult to qt for awhile provided you have stable parameters and the t5s.

If you're qting for fish disease as well then same as a fallow tank 76 days for 100% prevention of ich, velvet, etc. That's based off the longest known living strain of ich. Youd probably be safe with shorter but I forget the exact number.

For coral pest then it all depends on if you find anything on them. If you do then multiple treatments, hatching periods for eggs, etc.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT will always be stressful.

I do dip, brush, inspect with magnifying glass, rinse in DT water, dip, brush, remove plug where applicable, rinse, then QT.

I’ve never gone beyond two weeks for fish and one week for corals, unless I have some reason to do so, lost too much stuff with long QT periods.

25D5AC2F-D1E5-4F3D-B5DD-5E60BD6820BC.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back