Really add 1 hermit crab per gallon???

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s nothing. Mine is 2” and I have seen larger.
Jesus lol.
That’s 1 of the 6 I added .
notice the big bonsai frag he knocked over again ....
5FBBF219-AE68-4ECA-A922-412A0BE4C315.jpeg

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen several different sources indicate a tank should be stocked with 1 hermit crab per gallon. I have a 125-gallon display tank - 125 hermit crabs seems like overkill. Wouldn't they cover every surface? I could see 25 or 30, perhaps. Should I really be targeting 125?

I would also like to have a variety on my cleanup crew - emerald crabs, various shrimp, starfish, etc. Does the 1 hermit per gallon take into account other inverts?

Please help me understand the recommendation and instances where it may or may not apply, and what other considerations I should take into account when figuring out my overall target hermit crab population.

Thanks!
I paid £7 for a red legged in my LFS the blues were £10 but they were all huge, no chance I'd buy one per gallon at that price lol

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 6 snails in a 230? I have literally 30 in a biocube 32. Different varieties but they all do fine. No mexican turbos though. Just nassarius, astrea, ans cerith
Fwiw, I have 3 astrea and a couple nassarius in my 130g. I feel snails are overrated. I also have only one shrimp and no crabs. I’ve run a heavy cleanup crew before and they just knock frags over and don’t clean as well as fish like tangs, foxface and blennies. I guess it’s subjective as to what one calls a cleanup crew.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the no crabs of any kind camp. Crabs are opportunistic scavengers and will eat anything they can get in their claws. Even with an assortment of shells they will kill snails.

No thanks.

syrinx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
125 dwarf hermit crabs would fit in a shot glass. Number depends on variety- and expect a 15% loss or empty shells per order.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the no crabs of any kind camp. Crabs are opportunistic scavengers and will eat anything they can get in their claws. Even with an assortment of shells they will kill snails.

No thanks.
I was also in that camp for many years but recently decided to try snails and hermits again .
Knowing hermits aren’t native to living in reefs

I realized fast why I never had any .

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen several different sources indicate a tank should be stocked with 1 hermit crab per gallon. I have a 125-gallon display tank - 125 hermit crabs seems like overkill. Wouldn't they cover every surface? I could see 25 or 30, perhaps. Should I really be targeting 125?

I would also like to have a variety on my cleanup crew - emerald crabs, various shrimp, starfish, etc. Does the 1 hermit per gallon take into account other inverts?

Please help me understand the recommendation and instances where it may or may not apply, and what other considerations I should take into account when figuring out my overall target hermit crab population.

Thanks!
I have a 125 and my cleanup crew consists of 6 tangs and a foxface. They demolish any vegetative matter whatsoever. I do have a few stray snails and hermits, but the fish do most of the work.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
Stay away from hermits, more trouble than they are worth. Six months ago most of my hermits would get together and climb on the only sps I could grow and break off braches. I returned them all to the lfs. Now I have many frags of my sps forget the name monti branching digitata.

Attachments

• 2020-10-7 9-45-45~3[1079].jpg
    2020-10-7 9-45-45~3[1079].jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 54

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back