Really at a loss of what this algae is HELP

Bertbreaksnecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this came in hitchhiking on a zoa colony from vietnam but not to sure, I tried to get the best pictures I can and weirdest of all it seems to only be growing on the glass... maybe Bryopsis? But it has like a foot base then spouts little almost fans, very hard to scrape off

Any ideas?

F11688FA-5DD4-44BE-9CE2-56B227626B55.jpeg DFA42727-9238-4335-A4DA-F492B960C9AC.jpeg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it looks like a fern than I would think Byropsis as well.

OP
OP
Bertbreaksnecks

Bertbreaksnecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s defintely not a typical hair, I really can’t identify it so idk if it’s good or bad or how to attack it or let it be‍♀️

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you fluconazole is definitly an amazing fungal treatment medicine that works amazing for a few different types of algae. I've used it on briopsis, hair and turf. All took different amounts of time with the carbon not running. And when you do water changes you need to read the amount of fluc for the water being changed out. Turf and green hair took about 6 weeks. Briopsis about 4.

OP
OP
Bertbreaksnecks

Bertbreaksnecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you fluconazole is definitly an amazing fungal treatment medicine that works amazing for a few different types of algae. I've used it on briopsis, hair and turf. All took different amounts of time with the carbon not running. And when you do water changes you need to read the amount of fluc for the water being changed out. Turf and green hair took about 6 weeks. Briopsis about 4.
Is there a thread or instructions or specific brand you would recommend using or visiting to read how to properly do this treatment? I’m not the most familiar with it and quite scared to kill my corals

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have two options:

Option 1: Kent Tech M - raise magnesium to 1500. It contains lithium which kills the bryopsis. However, can kill snails and make them lethargic.

Option 2:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/
Here's the sticky on it. It can cause problems with macroalgae. I havent tried this yet but it seems like a popular option recently. "Fluconazole blocks the enzymatic pathway for the production of ergosterol. Ergosterol is essential for maintaining the cell wall integrity of plants. "

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back