• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Really Fishybusiness a “Packing Charge”

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Coral Newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I out of line?

Just placed my 1st order from #fishybusinessaquatics for $300. Their website claims “free shipping” but then when I go to check out I get hit with a $10 packing charge. Like really? what the heck is that. At the exact same time I ordered from liveaquaria for $101, and got free shipping, no surprise chargers there. Have order from blue zoo all the time and never had a “packing charge”.

I know $10 isn’t a lot but....... Wonder if you don’t spend enough if you get hit with shipping and a packing charge? That’s like $30 for shipping, $10 for packing on a $50 fish is crazy.

Wanted to see what everyone else thoughts?

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the boxes and bags aren’t cheap. Maybe some vendors include this in the price of the fish, others don’t and have a packing charge.

Surprise charges. Was this charge added after you checked out? You noticed on your bank statement? Now that would be a surprise charge.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I out of line?

Wanted to see what everyone else thoughts?

Their packing charges should be clearly stated right here...

"Packaging & Shipping Information for Livestock:

• Livestock is hand-packed with care and expertise to reduce stress.
  • Thick Styrofoam coolers are used to insulate and protect livestock.
  • We use quality cardboard boxes, heat packs, cool packs, and space-age thermal bags to keep animals at a comfortable temperature.
  • Specimen bags are packed tightly with no room to move or shift during shipping.
  • Each specimen is placed in its own thick plastic bag, sometimes double or triple bagged, with plenty of water and oxygen for the trip.
  • Boxes are labeled ‘LIVE FISH’ with large UP arrows.
  • We do everything we can to decrease stress on livestock so it arrives healthy and ready for acclimation into your tank."
I would take a pass... :)

OP
OP
Coral Newbie

Coral Newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the boxes and bags aren’t cheap. Maybe some vendors include this in the price of the fish, others don’t and have a packing charge.

Surprise charges. Was this charge added after you checked out? You noticed on your bank statement? Now that would be a surprise charge.

It showed up after I put in my state for shipping. I agree that most places probably include it in the cost of the fish. I could see if fishybusiness has the cheapest fish out there but they don’t. I literally had fishbusiness, blue zoo, liveaquaria, and saltwater.com up on different tabs comparing each fish and size.

OP
OP
Coral Newbie

Coral Newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv'e never ordered live stock . I want to see what I'm getting 1st ! Then I might haggle with the owner LOL. I bet he's tired of seeing me !

Yea I see your point I’m in Colorado Springs and there’s only one good store and his stock takes a while to refresh

OP
OP
Coral Newbie

Coral Newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their packing charges should be clearly stated right here...

"Packaging & Shipping Information for Livestock:

• Livestock is hand-packed with care and expertise to reduce stress.
  • Thick Styrofoam coolers are used to insulate and protect livestock.
  • We use quality cardboard boxes, heat packs, cool packs, and space-age thermal bags to keep animals at a comfortable temperature.
  • Specimen bags are packed tightly with no room to move or shift during shipping.
  • Each specimen is placed in its own thick plastic bag, sometimes double or triple bagged, with plenty of water and oxygen for the trip.
  • Boxes are labeled ‘LIVE FISH’ with large UP arrows.
  • We do everything we can to decrease stress on livestock so it arrives healthy and ready for acclimation into your tank."
I would take a pass... :)

I know, isn’t what they state the norm now a days for shipping?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, isn’t what they state the norm now a days for shipping?

"Fishy Bizness" (not Fishy Business) states what their packaging charge will be applied at the same info area, on their site.

SHIPPING RATES

LIVE ANIMALS & FRESH FOOD – Shipping Options ( WITH free shipping promotion offered)

$0-free ship amount Over the free ship amount Packing

Live products and Fresh Foods - pm overnight $29.99 $0 $8.99

Live products and Fresh Foods - am overnight $44.99 $15 $8.99

Live products and Fresh Foods - pm overnight Sat. del. $44.99 $15 $8.99

Live products and Fresh Foods - am overnight Sat. del. 59.99 $30 $8.99

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you tell your local shop what you want, they will probably order it for you....... no worry about what day is delivery day etc. No concerns about DOA etc. I personally can’t find a “need” to order livestock online

tanfeng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwaterfish. Com even worst, beside the packaging fee. The DOA policy are sick too, sometime you won't get the full price of the fish for store credit and if you placed order with store credit they don't count it as your money and cut down the refund by persentage.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's called HIDDEN PROFIT... which is everywhere in the food industry and the car-service industry

When you are out at a sitdown restaurant, fountain drinks are $2.75 where it costs them 5cents in carbonation and syrup....they make $2.70 in PROFIT and no one blinks an eye.

Me.... I order a $2.75 Diet Coke.... you best believe I'm getting like 3 refills and always ask for a "to-go" cup :p

Heck McDonald's is marketing $1 Fountain Drink!!!!! What a value!!!! Yahoo!!!! Aaaaaah, they're still making 95cents in pure profit.

Speedway 89cent speedy drinks, still a 84cent profit.

PIZZA..... oh Dear lord.... Many pizza joints have national advertising, selling 2topping pizzas for $12. Woooooow. The flipping pizza costs then less than $2 to make. They're still making a $10 profit. A delivered pizza is even worse. The $12 becomes a $18 pizza after a delivery-charge and a Driver who won't leave your porch without a tip on top if the delivery-charge. I've had my wife stand there with hands on her hip saying, "$12 pizza my ........" to the Drivers face, lol

But PROFIT is a GOOD THING. Keeps bizs thriving, ppl employed. But ppl just dont realize just how much profit is out there.

I'm like the OP, hidden profit though is dirty pool. Which is like cancer getting your car repaired, dont even get me started....

No wonder the company name is FISHYbusiness.

Wonder if they have a sidebiz called FISHYautoservice? Lol

Last edited:

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's called HIDDEN PROFIT... which is everywhere

That's why when you are out at a sitdown restaurant, fountain Cokes are $2.75 where it costs them 5cents in carbonation and syrup....they make $2.70 in PROFIT and no one blinks an eye.

Me.... I order a $2.75 Coke.... you best believe I'm getting like 3 refills and always ask for a "to-go" cup [emoji14]

Spite that restaurant by cutting their profits by 20 cents and quadruple your chances of diabetes at the same time. Sounds like a win win. [emoji16]

OP
OP
Coral Newbie

Coral Newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's called HIDDEN PROFIT... which is everywhere

That's why when you are out at a sitdown restaurant, fountain Cokes are $2.75 where it costs them 5cents in carbonation and syrup....they make $2.70 in PROFIT and no one blinks an eye.

Me.... I order a $2.75 Coke.... you best believe I'm getting like 3 refills and always ask for a "to-go" cup :p

Heck McDonald's is marketing $1 Fountain Drink!!!!! What a value!!!! Yahoo!!!! Aaaaaah, they're still making 95cents in pure profit

I definitely understand hidden profit, I’m in construction but to say free shipping then add $10 right at the end is definitely not very hidden

OP
OP
Coral Newbie

Coral Newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwaterfish. Com even worst, beside the packaging fee. The DOA policy are sick too, sometime you won't get the full price of the fish for store credit and if you placed order with store credit they don't count it as your money and cut down the refund by persentage.

This was the 1st time I have ordered from fishy business and thought I would give them a shot as I see them on REEF2REEF all the time. I don’t think I have order from saltwaterfish yet.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely understand hidden profit, I’m in construction but to say free shipping then add $10 right at the end is definitely not very hidden

Yeah.... that's what I'm saying it was HIDDEN to you... bc it wasn't easily revealed to you

Just like getting a set of 4 new tires.... they quote $700 for a set of 4 new tires. Then when you go to pay its $815 bc of shop-fees, disposal-fees, valves-steams, balancing, etc. Its all HIDDEN crap to PAD PROFIT.

When I buy tires I'm like, "cut the crap. I want a written quote on ALL fees.... present me with a higher number, take the tires back off"

Last edited:

Medic58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the 1st time I have ordered from fishy business and thought I would give them a shot as I see them on REEF2REEF all the time. I don’t think I have order from saltwaterfish yet.
I checked the vendor feedback on reef to reef on fishy business and it changed my mind that’s for sure.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back