Rearranging live rock?

Sagess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to rearrange my live rock for a couple of reasons. the most important being all of my coral, I want to change it to create better placement for my coral now and future coral. The second being it does not look complete in terms of rock work. This leads me to my question. Is it okay to rearrange my rockwork? If so what are some tips and tricks? I heard to not stir up the sand bed for a number of reasons?

Love to hear what people have to say

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine to rearrange your rocks, just be mindful of how you stack them. If your higher rocks aren't stable then you risk having them fall later damaging the corals. Be careful not to crush your inverts. For example, I have a couple pistol shrimps that burrow beneath the rocks so I try not to move the rocks on the bottom. I've heard that you shouldn't stir up the sandbed, but I don't remember the reasons why.

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah no real issue. I used to rearrange all the time.

get bored of it very few months and switch it around

I would tank them out. Lay them all out so I could see what I was working with. And go.

that was with a 75 gallon though so it wasn’t to bad to do.

just be careful of your fish and existing corals

You’ll probably kick up a bunch of crap to. So water change would be good.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason why it is supposedly bad to stir up the sandbed is because you may let loose matter in it that can acutely pollute the water, etc.

I have never had that problem though. I too, shift my stuff around. Sometimes every few months, sometimes longer, never an issue. Filtration system takes care of everything for me.

OP
OP
Sagess

Sagess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good things to know. I have a 65 gallon tank with a 15 gallon sump. the layout I have was made before all the new coral additions so I want to change it before things grow in a lot and its much harder. all the coral are pretty much on frags or easy to move. Probably take the time to clean the vermetid snails off the rocks. I hate those things.

https://aquariumstoredepot.com/blogs/news/vermetid-snail-removal

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back