Rebuilding my 90 Gallon Bow

SiriusKohnohe

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 16, 2014
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Location
Morehead City NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided this weekend to finally start tearing apart my 90 bow that split a seem and start my extensive rebuild process. A few months ago I was in the middle of a cycle on my 90 bow when one night the seem on one side gave way and started leaking all over my new wood floor T_T. Luckily and for whatever reason I got up in the middle of the night to check on the tank and caught it before it did any major damage.

I had a spare 55 long and I put all my sand and what I could fit of the rock in there and replaced the 90 in its stead. This 55 along with a few mods is now my up and running tank. It has been up for about 2 months now and is doing well meanwhile the 90 has sat on my back porch.

Today I started tearing it apart and cleaning off all the old Silicone, laborious work but in anticipation of what may be its well worth it.
WP_20140621_10_51_36_Pro.jpg
WP_20140621_10_51_45_Pro.jpg
WP_20140621_10_52_26_Pro.jpg


Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of what it looked like before I started tearing it apart with the split/cracked braces and all. (mainly the reason why the tank failed). Although there is one question that has been going threw my head. When I first got the tank I was told it was acrylic. being that most bows are indeed acrylic i went with it anyways but the more I look at the edges as I clean them. I don't recall Acrylic having that greenish sheen associated with glass.
WP_20140621_10_53_03_Pro.jpg
WP_20140621_10_53_32_Pro.jpg


Could it be that this is actually a glass tank? or maybe im just not brushed up enough on my tank knowledge to know any better.

Also as far as the braces are concerned I am going to have new ones fabricated out of metal. I know it sounds unconventional rust being an issue and all but I am sure I can make this work out.
 
Sooooo upon further removal of the silicone. I encountered this.
WP_20140621_14_38_19_Pro.jpg
WP_20140621_14_39_00_Pro.jpg
WP_20140621_14_39_24_Pro.jpg


Now I know Acrylic dose not chip off like this so it is a glass tank. Measuring it its only about 1/4 inch thick. obviously I would no longer use that broken piece but now my question is is 1/4 glass thick enough for a 90G Bow?
 
That's a mighty thin tank! I'm not sure though, my 65 is 1/2 inch I think
 
That's what I thought too, but im skimping a little. I actually measure close 1/2 inch but not quite. I know that if you buy wood a (standard 1/2 inch) is actually a 1/4 but unsure if thats what it was for glass too?

WP_20140621_15_23_42_Pro.jpg
WP_20140621_15_24_11_Pro.jpg


6/16 of an inch lol. If I buy new thicker glass then the front and back wont line up. More concerned about the front due to the bow.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new