Receding Hammer

emilybell1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I've had this wall hammer for about a week. It's fluffed up way bigger since we've had it than it was in the lfs we got if from. I originally drip acclimated it and dipped it in CoralRx for 5 minutes before adding it to the tank. In the last day it's had one area that is receding. All of our other corals look fine. Our parameters are:

Nitrates: 0
Phosphates: 0.01
Cal: 500
Mag: 1800
Salinity: 1.026
Alk: 8.4

I haven't seen anything bothering it. Should I dip it again or what would be the best thing to do, if anything? I know we should increase the nitrates and phosphates but trying to do so slowly. I also know the mag/cal is a little higher than normal, our last batch of hw reefer seemed to be very high across the board but we're reducing water changes to lower them. Any help is really appreciated! Thanks!

IMG_0143.JPG

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO3 at zero is not good, the Ca is not a big issue in my opinion. What about the light is it to much?

OP
OP
emilybell1

emilybell1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree! I just got rid of a gha issue so I'm trying to really slowly increase the nitrates and phosphates without restarting the problem. The hammer was put in well after the algae problem was solved so no huge changes in nutrients since it got here. Light is a good thought, I might try to slowly lower them. The frag plug you can slightly see behind our photobombing rabbitfish is another hammer. It hasn't shown any problems in that spot for about 4-5 months. Any specific par you recommend? In that spot they are getting about 250.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree! I just got rid of a gha issue so I'm trying to really slowly increase the nitrates and phosphates without restarting the problem. The hammer was put in well after the algae problem was solved so no huge changes in nutrients since it got here. Light is a good thought, I might try to slowly lower them. The frag plug you can slightly see behind our photobombing rabbitfish is another hammer. It hasn't shown any problems in that spot for about 4-5 months. Any specific par you recommend? In that spot they are getting about 250.
Honestly I have never done a PAR reading for my tank. I have 3 hammers (one wall and two branched) a mid-level in my tank. However I did an experiment to try to induce rapid growth by increasing the lights. I increase my lights about 15%, my SPS reacted very nicely but my hammers and duncans contracted. That why I wander if your light is affecting it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back