Recharging GAC and GFO

peachyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20211208-023327.png
so this is 12% h2o2 aka hydrogen peroxide which I buy on Amazon. It's potent stuff so wear good thick pvc gloves. I throw the bagged media in a bucket and swirl it around good. Maybe leave in there a couple of hours then rinse the bags under tap water and walla...it's good for another week. I only do this once then go to new but it may work a third or fourth time. Opinions?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The peroxide will not impact phosphate bound to GFO. It may remove organic matter from it, and to the extent that organic matter is blocking additional phosphate uptake, it may help (or not) with GFO.

I do not know how effective it is at removing organics from GAC to allow additional organic binding, but it might be.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is possible to regenerate with a caustic - NaOH for example, in theory, anyone ever do this?

GFO? Yes, it appears that can be partly recharged with base and folks have posted methods.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in my day (I'm a dinosaur of a chemist) the only way to regenerate GAC was in a blast furnace.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
500° C is not going to be enough, is it?

Just looked it up...."The material is heated up to around 1000º F, which volatilizes 75 – 90% of the adsorbed materials. At this point, steam is injected into the system to remove the remaining volatiles and “reactivate” the carbon."

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
500° C is not going to be enough, is it?

One of the concerns is that if you heat it high enough to burn off organics, you may burn the GAC itself unless you do it in a low O2 environment.

Activated carbon is combustible, but not easily ignited. In the absence of a forced draft, even hot activated carbon supports combustion with difficulty and, under some conditions, will extinguish on its own accord. However, it should not be subjected to a blast of air at temperatures above approximately 400°F.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked it up...."The material is heated up to around 1000º F, which volatilizes 75 – 90% of the adsorbed materials. At this point, steam is injected into the system to remove the remaining volatiles and “reactivate” the carbon."
Huh, a self cleaning oven might almost achieve that. The superheated steam would be a bit risky though

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, a self cleaning oven might almost achieve that. The superheated steam would be a bit risky though

Try it on a few grains and see if they are still there after the cleaning.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try it on a few grains and see if they are still there after the cleaning.
I was about to but then it occured to me that it's probably not such a great idea. Wikipedia says palytoxin decomposes at 300° C but I don't particularly want to find out what happens while heating up to that point

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to but then it occured to me that it's probably not such a great idea. Wikipedia says palytoxin decomposes at 300° C but I don't particularly want to find out what happens while heating up to that point

I was thinking a new grain from the bottle, but I agree, even if it worked, you probably do not want to.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heh. this is one where the fact that GAC is so cheap really weighs against how I imagine this going.
I think if I volatilize a bunch of aquarium organics in the oven in my kitchen, then it would probably result in bad smells and bad moods. Both of which might linger for an unpleasantly long time.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its so cheap until you add up all the cumulative reef costs lol. Saving money is always a good idea.

Fwiw you can also try microwaving gac.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heh. this is one where the fact that GAC is so cheap really weighs against how I imagine this going.
I think if I volatilize a bunch of aquarium organics in the oven in my kitchen, then it would probably result in bad smells and bad moods. Both of which might linger for an unpleasantly long time.

lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back