Recommend me a powerhead

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,
My tank is a 2 year old mixed reef. Im looking to increase my flow a bit. The tank is a red sea max250 so thers 2 turnowerpumps which turnover 4000l/h . I want to add a powerhead/wavemaker. Im on a budget. Currently ive been looking on jebao pumps and i found this new slw model. I actually dont get the differences in jebao pumps? Any recommendations? If i go jebao which pump would u pick?

Ive also been looking at koralias or tunze nano streams. I dont want to pay more than ~60-80$. Tank is lps focused but id still like to aim at medium-high flow atleast on top of the watercolumn.

Thanks in advance, helps appreciated!!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 Jebao PP-8's and 2 Hydor Koralia power heads in my 125. Both brands seem to be really quiet, easy to clean and very reliable. What I really like about the Jeabao's is that the flow is adjustable and they each come with a wave maker that is connected to each other wireless, allowing for some pretty random flow. Might be over budget, but worth looking into.
Hope this helps.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also look at the Sicce Voyager 2 or 3. It's a bigger pump but only AC pump thats designed for controller. So it's cheap, reliable, controllable and quiet. Trade off is size.

OP
OP
K

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 Jebao PP-8's and 2 Hydor Koralia power heads in my 125. Both brands seem to be really quiet, easy to clean and very reliable. What I really like about the Jeabao's is that the flow is adjustable and they each come with a wave maker that is connected to each other wireless, allowing for some pretty random flow. Might be over budget, but worth looking into.
Hope this helps.
I went with a jebao sow-8. I liked it best in terms of bang for my bucks. I almost went with ac koralias too but i simply couldn't resist skipping out on the cool DC wavemaker functionality.

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy used
I sincerely hope there will come a time i can look at Vortech pumps and legit think about getting them . Outta my ballpark by far, sadly
buy used. I bought a one year old MP10QDw for $160

and found a local guy selling an MPQDw that was 3 months old for $150.
I bought two like new vortech pumps for the price of one brand new one.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,
My tank is a 2 year old mixed reef. Im looking to increase my flow a bit. The tank is a red sea max250 so thers 2 turnowerpumps which turnover 4000l/h . I want to add a powerhead/wavemaker. Im on a budget. Currently ive been looking on jebao pumps and i found this new slw model. I actually dont get the differences in jebao pumps? Any recommendations? If i go jebao which pump would u pick?

Ive also been looking at koralias or tunze nano streams. I dont want to pay more than ~60-80$. Tank is lps focused but id still like to aim at medium-high flow atleast on top of the watercolumn.

Thanks in advance, helps appreciated!!
I'm a few days late on this... But I love my Gyres. They work great. If you want it more economical, I really like the Hydors. They work well, are dependable, and I keep my old ones on hand in case I ever need extra flow. I've had really good luck with them in the past. Have fun!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You just can not beat the reliability and longevity of Tunze.
You said you have a small budget and Tunze isn't going to fit in it, but I would suggest you dig a little deeper and get a powerhead that's going to last.

OP
OP
K

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just can not beat the reliability and longevity of Tunze.
You said you have a small budget and Tunze isn't going to fit in it, but I would suggest you dig a little deeper and get a powerhead that's going to last.
I was looking for some form of controlability to create a bit of a changeup in flow. The tank is only 3 foot long with 2 2000l/h turnover pumps aimed from each backcorner (its a red sea max 250 AIO if u are familiar with those). I decided against ac pumps as they would’ve created some unnatural growing patterns as the flow would have been very linear in a way.

I went with a jebao wavemaker now and hope they serve me long enough. I know its a risk to go for the cheap option but it was kinda a decidion between being able to afford a wavemaker or not...

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze is really good value for money, I'd go for the 6055. That said, the Jeabos are not that bad either for the money, and they can last a couple years if you're lucky. I had three so far, one died in about half a year, the other in 1 year, and one is still going after 5 years.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was looking for some form of controlability to create a bit of a changeup in flow. The tank is only 3 foot long with 2 2000l/h turnover pumps aimed from each backcorner (its a red sea max 250 AIO if u are familiar with those). I decided against ac pumps as they would’ve created some unnatural growing patterns as the flow would have been very linear in a way.

I went with a jebao wavemaker now and hope they serve me long enough. I know its a risk to go for the cheap option but it was kinda a decidion between being able to afford a wavemaker or not...
Tunze pumps have controllers with different flow patterns.
I use a pair of the Tunze 6055's on my 32" x 24" x 20" tank. They were also used on the previous 30" x 20" x 20" tank.
I do know about budgets. I am retired on a fixed income that's no where near what I earned when I was working.
So I always look for deals.
Keep Tunze in mind in the future.

JS_racer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze pumps have controllers with different flow patterns.
I use a pair of the Tunze 6055's on my 32" x 24" x 20" tank. They were also used on the previous 30" x 20" x 20" tank.
I do know about budgets. I am retired on a fixed income that's no where near what I earned when I was working.
So I always look for deals.
Keep Tunze in mind in the future.

Looking at a pair of 6055 for my 58 36x18x18
Thoughts how they are working out, and is the flow low enough if need be? Are the nozzles wide enough, debating the wider covers too. The other ones on my radar are the octa 2.
I have the 6095 pair controlled by my apex on my 120, have had them several years. No issues

Thanks for the time

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Looking at a pair of 6055 for my 58 36x18x18
Thoughts how they are working out, and is the flow low enough if need be? Are the nozzles wide enough, debating the wider covers too. The other ones on my radar are the octa 2.
I have the 6095 pair controlled by my apex on my 120, have had them several years. No issues

Thanks for the time
They dial down pretty low, but on a 36" tank my guess is you would be in the mid to upper range.
They are one of the best in this size and power IMO.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back