Recommendation on last fish (or 2) for nano

smithcamt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefologists,

Want some expert opinion -- I've had my Nuvo 20g up and running since late January. I currently have 2 captive bred clowns, and 1 green clown goby I got a little over 2 weeks ago. The clown goby is definitely a hide and seek expert, so I'm sad I don't really see him much. My eventual goal is to start adding corals to my aquascape, but currently looking to add one or two more fish and possibly a pistol shrimp.

What would you recommend if you were in my position? I do like how active my clowns are and always easy to spot -- so definitely interested in another comparable type.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a pair of cardinals could be good and maybe another clown goby but there is a chance they will tear apart a coral if they breed.
the pistol shrimp to my knowledge is blind so I wouldn't get one without a watchman goby but I am no expert

OP
OP
smithcamt

smithcamt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A (pair) smaller shrimp goby like Yasha Gobi with Randal pistol shrimp would be perfect for this tank.

Would the Yasha Gobi/Shrimp and Clown Goby be okay in the tank together? Wouldn't be any aggression towards another?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown gobies should not cause any problem for the Yasha boby. However, Clown gobies are detrimental to SPS especially in small tank. They strip tissue of of a patch of SPS to make a nest, often at the central part of the colony where SPS cannot heal itself well. Often start a die off of a SPS colony.
I will never put clown gobies in my tank because I always have SPS in my tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smithcamt

smithcamt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown gobies should not cause any problem for the Yasha boby. However, Clown gobies are detrimental to SPS especially in small tank. They strip tissue of of a patch of SPS to make a nest, often at the central part of the colony where SPS cannot heal itself well. Often start a die off of a SPS colony.
I will never put clown gobies in my tank because I always have SPS in my tank.

Thank you for the insight. Okay so I might look at taking him back to LFS and swapping out for the Yasha.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back