Recommendations for acrylic tank companies

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to buy a custom or prebuilt acrylic tank roughly 120 gallons any recommendations on a company / place to order from

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still have (in use, not for sale) a 120g Tenecor tank from ~1995…still in excellent shape, highly recommended
How you management of not scratching it since acrylic scratches easily supposedly

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of your bidding process I would recommend reaching out to Tsunami / Suncoast Aquariums. Great build quality. Great customer service. Can order standard size or custom or combination of both. Good lead time. Communication - excellent.

Doesn't hurt to get multiple quotes to see who you connect with.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Clear Fabrications is a top notch acrylic tank builder in Seattle Washington.
They ship.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How you management of not scratching it since acrylic scratches easily supposedly
I can’t say that I’ve never scratched it, but I’ve always been able to sand and polish them out…without emptying the tank.

The number 1 rule of “acrylic club”, is never leave the magnet cleaner on the tank… for some reason, every visitor, young and old, has the uncontrollable urge to move them, and that’s where some scratches will come from!
I’ve had many different tanks in the past ~70 years, but I don’t want another large glass tank!

I also recommend Fish Tanks Direct, they build my 200 & 500g acrylic tanks.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number 1 rule of “acrylic club”, is never leave the magnet cleaner on the tank

Same rule applies to low iron glass. Or any aquarium for that matter. The longer they are in the display the more likely it is for build up be it algae or crustation or debris of some sort.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t say that I’ve never scratched it, but I’ve always been able to sand and polish them out…without emptying the tank.

The number 1 rule of “acrylic club”, is never leave the magnet cleaner on the tank… for some reason, every visitor, young and old, has the uncontrollable urge to move them, and that’s where some scratches will come from!
I’ve had many different tanks in the past ~70 years, but I don’t want another large glass tank!

How do you polish them out without removing water?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midwest Custom Aquariums was awesome to work with. Made my 360 gallon last year. I find acrylic does scratch but it’s very hard to see most scratches. It’s definetly overstated on here mostly by people who have never owned acrylic

Attachments

• IMG_7488.jpeg
    IMG_7488.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 61

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats who Ive been looking at! How long have you had the fish tanks direct tank? Also is it a tsunami or the clearview?

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats who Ive been looking at! How long have you had the fish tanks direct tank? Also is it a tsunami or the clearview?
Delivered in July 2017. Not sure about type… both (200 & 500g) were custom built to my specs. Absolutely would order again!

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find acrylic does scratch but it’s very hard to see most scratches. It’s definetly overstated on here mostly by people who have never owned acrylic

I love acrylic tanks and have had two pretty big ones, but imo there's no way to physically touch the material without scratching it. It's like washing a car - if you're touching it, even with the softest microfiber towels, you're scratching it. Just plan to polish it back to new every couple years.

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man its tempting to try to find or build an acrylic tank. But indeed the scratch fear is strong - I know I would get annoyed and have to polish it out every time it happens and it sounds like it happens often.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love acrylic tanks and have had two pretty big ones, but imo there's no way to physically touch the material without scratching it. It's like washing a car - if you're touching it, even with the softest microfiber towels, you're scratching it. Just plan to polish it back to new every couple years.
Acrylic tanks are nice, I like it that they are lighter and clearer than glass.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back