Recommendations for lighting please

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to up grade my lights for my 55 gallon tank... Its 48 inches long by about 12 or 16 inchs wide. and 2 feet deep. I'm looking to get lights that would be good for all types of corals and anemones but at the same time will not break the bank.

Here is the catch guys i don't wanna drop a large sum all at once so i need recommendations that i can buy from marine depot since the offer the ability to finance. Thanks for the help guys.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to up grade my lights for my 55 gallon tank... Its 48 inches long by about 12 or 16 inchs wide. and 2 feet deep. I'm looking to get lights that would be good for all types of corals and anemones but at the same time will not break the bank.

Here is the catch guys i don't wanna drop a large sum all at once so i need recommendations that i can buy from marine depot since the offer the ability to finance. Thanks for the help guys.
Not in any way saying I dont like marine depot, but if at all possible dont do the financing. The interest rates are usually outrageous, 10-30% based off how much you finance. If budget is an issue look into some of the black box leds on Ebay and amazon. They will grow anything you put under them. Or see if there are any reefers on the forum selling lights inexpensively. Or if you have to finance, take out a credit card with a lower interest rate. Some even offer 12 months no interest. Purchase what you want and pay it off before the 12 months and boom, no interest. And then cancel the credit card when you no longer need it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a 48 inch 4 bulb hydroponics T5 fixture... something like this:
https://growersdiscount.com/Store/t...xture-with-Lamps/p/91522807?_vsrefdom=adwords

Replace two of the bulbs with True Actinic Bulbs from Fluval or the no-branded chinese ones.

This should be around $125 or less and you should be able to keep anything that you want short of high-light clams, nems and acropora. If you want to keep mags, gigs, clams and SPS, then that is different, but probably not a project that needs to start off being financed since it is quite a bit more expensive.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d335487486bda554e0ea9ad2060c7264.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in any way saying I dont like marine depot, but if at all possible dont do the financing. The interest rates are usually outrageous, 10-30% based off how much you finance. If budget is an issue look into some of the black box leds on Ebay and amazon. They will grow anything you put under them. Or see if there are any reefers on the forum selling lights inexpensively. Or if you have to finance, take out a credit card with a lower interest rate. Some even offer 12 months no interest. Purchase what you want and pay it off before the 12 months and boom, no interest. And then cancel the credit card when you no longer need it.
It is a terrible idea to ever cancel a credit card... that would ruin my credit... trust me i deal with credit on a daily bases. ive done the fiancing twice no and have only ever had to spend about 60 bucks more then what the amount cost.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a terrible idea to ever cancel a credit card... that would ruin my credit... trust me i deal with credit on a daily bases. ive done the fiancing twice no and have only ever had to spend about 60 bucks more then what the amount cost.
But wouldn't that be the same as financing through marine depot? once its paid off do they close the account or leave it open and you can keep purchasing on account?

OP
OP
J

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a 48 inch 4 bulb hydroponics T5 fixture... something like this:
https://growersdiscount.com/Store/t...xture-with-Lamps/p/91522807?_vsrefdom=adwords

Replace two of the bulbs with True Actinic Bulbs from Fluval or the no-branded chinese ones.

This should be around $125 or less and you should be able to keep anything that you want short of high-light clams, nems and acropora. If you want to keep mags, gigs, clams and SPS, then that is different, but probably not a project that needs to start off being financed since it is quite a bit more expensive.

Is that light going to work for anemones and lps sps and soft corals.

OP
OP
J

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But wouldn't that be the same as financing through marine depot? once its paid off do they close the account or leave it open and you can keep purchasing on account?
No the financing is considered a loan. Not a credit card. Its different.

Consider it like a car loan.. your credit doesn't drop when you pay it off it goes up. But canceling a credit card is saying to creditors that you can't afford to pay for that line of credit anymore and it screw your stuff up.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the financing is considered a loan. Not a credit card. Its different.

Consider it like a car loan.. your credit doesn't drop when you pay it off it goes up. But canceling a credit card is saying to creditors that you can't afford to pay for that line of credit anymore and it screw your stuff up.
Got it. Thanks for clarifying :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back