Recommendations for return pump in 250-400 GPH range?

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks!

I'm hoping to upgrade to a 50g tank with a sump soon and need some recommendations for a reliable and quiet (tank is going to be in the bedroom) return pump that can be adjusted to 250-400 GPH.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sicce SDC 6.0 pump is whisper quiet. It’s a bit more flow than you need, but you could probably run it between @25-35% for your tank. It’s also a pump that will serve you should you upgrade to a larger tank down the road. And it has a 5-year warranty.

I have one providing flow to my UV along with a SDC 9.0 for my return pump and couldn’t be happier with both.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for responding!

That sounds great, especially the 5 year warranty, but unfortunately it's a bit expensive for me. (I forgot to specify a budget in my first post; something below $200 or $150 would be more ideal.) And I don't think I'll need the wifi option because I'm hoping to invest in a controller somewhere down the line. I'll definitely note it down as a backup option though. Thanks again!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that size tank, a Sicce 4 or 5 will work. Both are work horses and will never let you down. If as controller is down the road, how far are we talking? The Cor pumps work great with the Apex, but almost every DC pump out there will work with the Apex, GHL, and Hydros.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Would you say the Sicce 4 or 5 is quiet enough for a bedroom tank?

I'm hoping to get a Hydros controller during Boxing Week sales.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Would you say the Sicce 4 or 5 is quiet enough for a bedroom tank?

I'm hoping to get a Hydros controller during Boxing Week sales.
I have a Sicce 4 on my UV sterilizer right now running at 100 percent. I get roughly 680-720 GPH and I don't hear it. I would also say that a I would hear a HOB over a Sicce any day.

Screenshot (225).png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. The SDC 6 is much quieter than the Sicce 3 and 5 that I had. And if you eventually want to control your pump through something like an Apex, I believe it does need to be DC and you do definitely need Wifi (the entire Sicce SDC line can be controlled through the Apex as an IOTA device).

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. The SDC 6 is much quieter than the Sicce 3 and 5 that I had. And if you eventually want to control your pump through something like an Apex, I believe it does need to be DC and you do definitely need Wifi (the entire Sicce SDC line can be controlled through the Apex as an IOTA device).
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. It didn't occur to me to look into AC vs. DC and whether the AC wouldn't work with a controller. I'll look into that.

Though that makes me wonder how necessary is it to have the return pump controllable via the controller?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. It didn't occur to me to look into AC vs. DC and whether the AC wouldn't work with a controller. I'll look into that.

Though that makes me wonder how necessary is it to have the return pump controllable via the controller?
If you can afford it and look at the future knowing what you will get down the road, meaning which controller and what you want to do with it, then I would definitely go with a DC pump. They are even quieter. I run 2 Cor 20's and don't hear them. I will upgrade them to an Abyzz A200, which is on another level, but the cost is as well...LOL!!! I can not say what, but I do know GHL and Sicce are working on something. :rolleyes: ;) :cool:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DC controllable pumps pay for themselves with the electricity cost savings. For example, the Sicce Silent pumps run @100% (you control the flow by adjusting the inlet). My Sicce Silent 5.0 was costing an extra $12.00 a month over the cost of the Sicce 6.0, which paid for the difference in 12 months. Over 2 years it ends up being $150 cheaper...

My SDC 9.0 runs 57-58w and costs $0.20 per day. My SDC 6.0 runs 21-22w and costs $0.08 per day. The Sicce Silent 5 I was previously using was running over 120w at a cost of $0.58 per day (over twice what the SDC 6+9 together cost).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both.

My electricity is included in my rent so electricity consumption is not a concern actually. What does concern me is the possibility of the controller of the DC pump itself failing. But I've read up a bit on the advantages of DC vs. AC pumps and I see there are some real benefits.

Looks like the Sicce SDC line has a new 3.0 pump with max 800 GPH that would work well for my tank if I decide to go the controllable DC route. It doesn't seem to be available in Canada yet though so maybe I should get an AC pump for now and upgrade to a DC once I actually have a controller to plug it into.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t find any info on availability of the SDC 3.0 either, but I suspect we’ll see it shortly (maybe before Christmas). It’s not just the electrical savings - you can run a lot more DC devices on the same circuit.

But yes, a Sicce Silent 4 (or whatever) is a good choice if you need something relatively soon.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both.

My electricity is included in my rent so electricity consumption is not a concern actually. What does concern me is the possibility of the controller of the DC pump itself failing. But I've read up a bit on the advantages of DC vs. AC pumps and I see there are some real benefits.

Looks like the Sicce SDC line has a new 3.0 pump with max 800 GPH that would work well for my tank if I decide to go the controllable DC route. It doesn't seem to be available in Canada yet though so maybe I should get an AC pump for now and upgrade to a DC once I actually have a controller to plug it into.
Most times, the main controller, meaning a GHL P4, Apex, not sure about the Hydros, does not control the DC pump. They usually have their own controller, and the others simply monitor it and give you another option to program it. So if anything happens to the main controller, the pumps are fine as they have their own driver controllers.

Back