Recommendations. Thoughts. Criticism.

BuddyTheGreat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone, new guy here. Just got the new tank transferred and set up. 22 gal long tank. Oase biomaster thermo 250. 79°F 1.023 psg. 2 ocellaris clowns. 2 peppermint shrimp. 1 snail. 2 blue legged hermit crabs. 1 unhappy BTA. Tank is going on 1 month old. Fish recommendations? Clean up crew?
Thanks for letting me pick your brain. Fill mine with wonderful knowledge of successful saltwater aquarium keeping.
IMG_6671.jpeg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
snail assortment and perhaps a urchin….
I like gobies, masked, et …
Royal gramma, maybe….

tank looks fine btw …Is that a current usa fixture?
if so, I owned 4, average fixture at best IMO

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe let that soak in and see what obstacles the tank throws at you. Cuc is good recommendation, start small and scale up as algea presents itself

OP
OP
B

BuddyTheGreat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
snail assortment and perhaps a urchin….
I like gobies, masked, et …
Royal gramma, maybe….

tank looks fine btw …Is that a current usa fixture?
if so, I owned 4, average fixture at best IMO
Completely forget to say anything about the light. It’s a Nicrew with adjustable whites and blues. Amazon light

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely forget to say anything about the light. It’s a Nicrew with adjustable whites and blues. Amazon light
I used to poo poo the “ mid grade” Amazon LED,s but having owned a few Nicrews myself, they definitely have their place…
…perhaps slide over and entertain yourself on the current LED’s don’t last thread, but my take is to roll with that bad boy until the individual led’s fail ( and they will) and upgrade later…heck that fixture was well under $100 , no? …. IMO at your tanks depth, you should be good sans acros, clams et.
edit add: that BTA might yearn for more light methinks

OP
OP
B

BuddyTheGreat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to poo poo the “ mid grade” Amazon LED,s but having owned a few Nicrews myself, they definitely have their place…
…perhaps slide over and entertain yourself on the current LED’s don’t last thread, but my take is to roll with that bad boy until the individual led’s fail ( and they will) and upgrade later…heck that fixture was well under $100 , no? …. IMO at your tanks depth, you should be good sans acros, clams et.
Yea was like $50 lol

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't make any sudden additions. This looks like a tank transfer upgrade, so allow time for everything to settle. I would add a couple Banded Trochus snails and a Tiger/Fighting Conch, and then let it ride for 60 days. Do not add an urchin at this point. There isn't enough nutrition yet to support the needs of the urchin.

I like the lily pipes, nice touch! If there was any way to raise your light fixture 2-4 inches you would get better spread and light the ends of the tank as well. Good luck on your build, you're off to a great start!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't make any sudden additions. This looks like a tank transfer upgrade, so allow time for everything to settle. I would add a couple Banded Trochus snails and a Tiger/Fighting Conch, and then let it ride for 60 days. Do not add an urchin at this point. There isn't enough nutrition yet to support the needs of the urchin.

I like the lily pipes, nice touch! If there was any way to raise your light fixture 2-4 inches you would get better spread and light the ends of the tank as well. Good luck on your build, you're off to a great start!
…that’s spot on, and also note if you are needing coralline algae to encrust, a urchin will set that back a lil, but don’t hesitate too long as urchins will leave rocks pretty dang clean

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%

Back