Recommended test kits?

Dmmuir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Restarting my tank, and have to start over with all test kits.
So what would you say are the required tests, and what are the good ones and ones to avoid?

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to go absolutely basic here; you have to be able to read it and be willing to use it for it to be a good test for you. Whether that's colormetric, titration, or with a checker (like a Hanna).

For NO3 and PO4 I prefer Red Sea Pro kits, dKH and Ca Hanna checkers, if I want to verify P then I use my Hanna ULR checker for that too.

In full disclosure, I have a Trident on my tank and only double check it against my Hanna checkers once a month unless I get a couple back-to-back oddball readings.

If you want a really good person's feedback on test kits let us see if we can get @Rick Mathew to chime in on what he is using for everything these days.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As in took 2 tanks down a year and a half ago? Resealing one and setting it back up in the next few weeks. So a complete start from scratch 90 gallon Cube tank.
So, for cycling a new tank, I would want:

Salinity - For that, I would get a refractometer and a digital kitchen scale to make a salt standard.
Temperature - Some kind of thermometer separate from your heater
Ammonia - To start your cycle and to tell when it's close to zero and safe for fish. API is good enough. After cycle, you may never need it again.

If it's a reef, I would add:
Alkalinity - Salifert has been my favorite. Alk is, by definition, a titration. So I would trust a titration kit over a Hanna.
Calcium - API is +/- 20 ppm, which is good enough. Some people may like a more sensitive kit.
Magnesium - Arguably needed. If you don't do much water changes, it's likely needed more. I like Salifert. It used to be about the only Mg kit, and I haven't gone away from it.
Phosphate - Hanna ULR. It's the only kit that reads phosphate in a useful range. You want the Ultra Low Range.
Nitrate - I like Red Sea. It's good enough. It just needs to be in a range of just above zero to 10-20, although that's debatable.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what would you say are the required tests, and what are the good ones and ones to avoid?
I use fluval for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Red sea for Ph

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity - Hanna
Phosphorus - Hanna ULR
Red sea pro for calcium and magnesium

I've also heard good things about salifert's test kits so i'd consider them too for any other parameters.

Ph - Get a PH monitoring system with a probe (apex or otherwise), don't test for it otherwise as the trendlines are significantly more relevant to tank health.

Salinity - A refractometer w/ a good 35 ppt calibration fluid is sufficient, Milwaukee's salinity checker is also good. Avoid the Hanna salinity probe as many have already expressed concern over the drift in the measured results.

Avoid the Hanna calcium checker unless your testing regiment is perfect. I never was able to duplicate the same results on multiple tests of a sample water.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you what I have found to do a good job and I feel confident in the results

Alk
Hanna Checker HI-772

Calcium
Hanna Checker HI-758
Red Sea Calcium Test

Mag
Salifert Magnesium Test

Nitrite
Hanna Checker HI-764 ULR

Nitrate
Special Measurement Procedure Using Red Sea Nitrate Reagents (Link Below)
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/test-meter-for-testing-nitrates.599/

Phosphorus ---Converted to PO4
HI-736

Copper
HI-747

Silica
Hanna Checker HI-705 LR

Iron
Hanna Checker HI-746 LR

Iodine
Special Measurement Procedure Using Red Sea Iodine Reagents (Link Below)

Potassium
Previously used Salifert Test Kit but it is no longer available. I am current working with @taricha and @Dan_P in developing a new one using Hanna Checkers ...You Can follow it here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/developing-a-potassium-test-salifert-style-or-alternative.988758/

I monitor any potential Ammonia Buildup with a SENEYE

Let me know if you have any questions...hope this helps

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna Alk, phosphate, nitrate hr
Red sea calcium, mag
Aquaforest mag

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back