Reconnecting APEX to WIFI.

acrum222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So every time we lose power it seems the apex does not reconnect itself to the wifi. Happened maybe last year and got it to reconnect. Now I can not remember how I did it. And everything I have tried does not work. Put the apex into wifi mode. Connected to that on my laptop, and nothing I use lets me connect to it (apex.local, 4 different browsers), tried to find its IP address but could not find it. Very confused any help is appreciated!!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put it into WiFi Setup Mode by pressing the reset button for 6 seconds until the logo turns blue, you need to follow these steps:

1. Connect your phone to the Apex_Setup### WiFi network
2. Browse to http://172.16.0.1
3. Select your WiFi name from the list
4. Enter your password
5. The Apex will reboot and connect to your WiFi. The logo will turn orange.

However, this procedure is not necessary every time you have a power failure. The reason the Apex doesn't automatically reconnect is because your Internet router takes much longer to boot up than the Apex, so it's not yet ready to hand out IP addresses through DHCP when the Apex starts requesting an IP address on the network. The workaround for this is to simply reboot the Apex after the Internet router is fully booted up and back online.

Another option is to turn off DHCP on your Apex and configure it with static IP address settings.

OP
OP
A

acrum222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And all I needed to do was post here. Then apex.local worked after a few different days of me tying to get it to connect. . And was able to select my wifi and enter the password. And now it's all working again. Lol

OP
OP
A

acrum222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put it into WiFi Setup Mode by pressing the reset button for 6 seconds until the logo turns blue, you need to follow these steps:

4. Enter your password

However, this procedure is not necessary every time you have a power failure. The reason the Apex doesn't automatically reconnect is because your Internet router takes much longer to boot up than the Apex, so it's not yet ready to hand out IP addresses through DHCP when the Apex starts requesting an IP address on the network. The workaround for this is to simply reboot the Apex after the Internet router is fully booted up and back online.

Another option is to turn off DHCP on your Apex and configure it with static IP address settings.
If I configure it with the static IP then it should connect when the power flickers?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I configure it with the static IP then it should connect when the power flickers?
Yes, with a static IP it will automatically reconnect as soon as the Internet router is back online after the power flicker.

If you have frequent short power outages, you should consider placing both your Internet router and your Apex on UPS backup batteries so they don't shut down when the power is out. See my tutorial on Apex Power Monitoring for instructions on how to integrate Apex with a UPS battery:

91mini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4. Enter your password

I've followed these steps and the status light remains blue.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mine goes out all the time. I go through the display and reset the unit. It goes back online within about a minute.

91mini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I changed internet providers and trying to reconnect.

I wish I could use my display but after spending several hundred dollars in replacements they all seem to go out within a year.

I also switched to an Android device

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've followed these steps and the status light remains blue.
Try putting your phone in "Airplane" mode and then go through these steps. That way your phone will be forced to use the Apex wifi ssid, and not try to use cellular data. Or use a computer to connect to the Apex ssid. Just a thought.

scottyroj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4. Enter your password

Thank you so much!

LowDime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i changed isp and have been trying to get my apex 2016 to connect and cant get it to work. When i connect to the apex set up there is no internet so it wont do the router page

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i changed isp and have been trying to get my apex 2016 to connect and cant get it to work. When i connect to the apex set up there is no internet so it wont do the router page
Have you held the reset button down for 4-5 seconds to put the Apex into wifi configuration mode? After the reset it will broadcast its own ssid that you can use to connect to and set up your new information.

The reset will not change any of your existing setting. Just the wifi.

LowDime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep i have it on the blue icon and it is sending the ssid but it has no connection so i cant get to this step 2. Browse to http://172.16.0.1

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using apple android or pc? On Android you can choose to connect to a network without internet.

LowDime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is what i get

1657670351507.png

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 49 53.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.9%
Back