Recover Bleached Anemone

CrabsHaveClaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20231121_155031.jpg

BTA seems to be recovering after hiding in my rockwork for a few weeks. I have been feeding mysis once a week but I'm not sure how much it gets because my clown stirs it up. Does it have enough zooxanthellae to recover? Or should I be feeding a small piece of a larger shrimp so I can see that it is being fed? Thanks.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best hope is that the clownfish takes up with it to keep it fed while it recovers. I wouldn’t try to feed it just let it catch drift food and the zooxanthellae will recover with adequate light and time .

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That BTA looks more than bleached.
Did it have those stubby tentacles before?
Are the tentacles sticky at all?
Does it have a feeding response when you feed mysis? As in, do the tentacles retract, bringing food to the mouth?
Or does the food kind of just lay on the BTA and easily blown off?

I've recovered a few nems from bleaching events or from being under rocks for weeks as well. But they typically look like regular nems, just without any color/zooxanthellae.

If it's eating, that's a good sign. That along with good/stable water will help it along its way.

I've fed a bleached anemone some "healthy tentacles" from a donor nem before. Whether that helped with recovery I don't know. But it was a nem with a long history so I wanted to try everything to make sure it recovered.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much back to normal! I've started feeding mysis again and its much stickier so the clown can't stir it up.
20231229_124204.jpg
That looks good, I'm glad it's coming back to it's normal glory!

What did you do to fix it apart from cutting back on feeding?

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is that a Maroon? I have an electric Maroon. I need to get her a mate once my tank is stable enough for a nem. I've had several and I am not sure why people say they are aggressive. The female was always the boss of the male... that's for sure.

OP
OP
CrabsHaveClaws

CrabsHaveClaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks good, I'm glad it's coming back to it's normal glory!

What did you do to fix it apart from cutting back on feeding?
Just checked my parameters more consistently and made sure to top off every day. I was a little too lax with doing that before.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CrabsHaveClaws

CrabsHaveClaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a Maroon? I have an electric Maroon. I need to get her a mate once my tank is stable enough for a nem. I've had several and I am not sure why people say they are aggressive. The female was always the boss of the male... that's for sure.
Yes she's a maroon. I got her from a gold lighting maroon breeder, she was a lot cheaper because she isn't the desired pattern. I think the pattern is gold flake??? She's by herself because its only a nano and if I stick my hand in anywhere she considers me too close to her anemone and will whack me :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine was hosting a corner in my aquarium. I've had her 3 years. She attacked my magnetic scraper when I was cleaning the glass and died. She must have hit it hard I guess. She immediately went into a cave which I have never seen before and then was lying in the sand the next day. I was pretty torn up about it. I honestly don't know how she could have hurt herself. I suppose it could have been stress from losing a battle of her area.

I have a pair of Picassos in my other tank. Those farm raised are really different. They don't host anything and cruise the whole tank. I think I will stick to aquacultured clowns going forward. They are like pets. When my hand is in the tank they come right to it looking for a treat. I've never experienced anything like it in 15 years of Reef keeping.

OP
OP
CrabsHaveClaws

CrabsHaveClaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240207_144541.jpg

Fully recovered and looking healthy. It lost most of the green at the base of the tentacles but I prefer this lighter colour, looks more natural.

OP
OP
CrabsHaveClaws

CrabsHaveClaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was hosting a corner in my aquarium. I've had her 3 years. She attacked my magnetic scraper when I was cleaning the glass and died. She must have hit it hard I guess. She immediately went into a cave which I have never seen before and then was lying in the sand the next day. I was pretty torn up about it. I honestly don't know how she could have hurt herself. I suppose it could have been stress from losing a battle of her area.
oh no. Sorry for your loss

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back