Red algae or diatoms?

firmefatboy799

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vacuumed my sand last week and now this is showing….any info?
3C381D80-0810-40AE-9DC8-40D6D2C95C30.jpeg
864E7D9A-3314-4AD3-BF19-D04931F2C47F.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post your nitrate and phosphate levels? I have a feeling that you bottomed out on those (which typically leads to red cyano or brownish dinos or other cyano). I doubt it's related to siphoning the sand.

OP
OP
firmefatboy799

firmefatboy799

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post your nitrate and phosphate levels? I have a feeling that you bottomed out on those (which typically leads to red cyano or brownish dinos or other cyano). I doubt it's related to siphoning the sand.
I have one of the api basic test kits. I don’t think it has a phos test. I’ll check

OP
OP
firmefatboy799

firmefatboy799

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just like the video... something is for sale at 9.99 and then the F'n GSP, lol.... agree with Spare Time could be low nitrates, I battled Cyano for a little bit and that was the cause.
How did you up it? It’s been running for a year but I let it go. It had very established live rock and live sand and has been good for the last year. Hmmm

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you up it? It’s been running for a year but I let it go. It had very established live rock and live sand and has been good for the last year. Hmmm
If its cyano then IMO we need to increase Nitrates ( most usually feed more) , if Dino I would likely go opposite. Need a Nitrate reading....Phosphate would be good too but at least Nitrates.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the api basic test kits. I don’t think it has a phos test. I’ll check

API doesn't make a low range phosphate test (the reef master comes with one but it reads only down to 0.25). If you get one, make sure it can read between 0.00 and 0.1. I imagine you could try and dilute the api one and do a little math (if you have it).

OP
OP
firmefatboy799

firmefatboy799

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update, i bought a diamond goby and he is messing up everything hahaha i forgot to test but i believe it was the bottoming out and i took out alot of nasty stuff from the sump part of my AIO tank and added a new bag of biochem so i believe phos levels took a dip for a second but everything has seemed to balance back out beside the goby screwing everything up overnight hahaha

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update, i bought a diamond goby and he is messing up everything hahaha i forgot to test but i believe it was the bottoming out and i took out alot of nasty stuff from the sump part of my AIO tank and added a new bag of biochem so i believe phos levels took a dip for a second but everything has seemed to balance back out beside the goby screwing everything up overnight hahaha

My diamond goby is massive and dictates where the sand goes. I have no say in the matter.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back