Red and Gold Litho

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought this frag under the name Red Litho (Lithophyllon), but I highly doubt it is truly a litho. However, I have been unable to figure out what it is at all. I can't find anything like it. I mean it kinda looks like a litho but the colors are nothing like anyone has ever seen or heard of. Then I went to someone's house who sells corals on a website, and he had a huge piece of what seemed to be the same coral other than the fact that it does not have gold tipped tentacles. He gave me a good price so I grabbed it. No matter what it is, I know it is unusual and I can sell it for a massive profit (in frags) but I still would like to know what it is.

Here's the frag that was sold to me as a red and gold litho:
_DSC0258.jpg

Older pics:
_DSC0054.jpg

_DSC0055-1.jpg

Now here is the huge colony I have. It was sold to me as psammocora but I KNOW it is not psammocora. I'll try to get a close up later.
_DSC0262.jpg

So what do I have here?

kevinpratt823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my "Blue Chantile", not sure of species either, is this Psammocora? The base has colored up to an awesome green now.

Attachments

• BRS 359.jpg
    BRS 359.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 316
  • BRS 356.jpg
    BRS 356.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 223

ReefRunner

Reef hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool colors. It looks like a lithophylum to me. Here's a couple of pics of mine:

Lithophylum%205_9_09.jpg

Lithophylumcloseup.jpg

Robin

xraided199

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be honest, i have been wanting a litho plate for so long and have been lookin up diff kinds online and trying to find what their care is like. Bongo and pratt, it looks like you both have a lithophyllon, just diff colors. i have to say, those are AWESOME colors for a litho. and put me on a list if you decide to frag that large red one Bongo! haha. but really, thats a nice piece. and pratt, i like the rim that yours has too. great thread!

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a list going for frags.... I get the acrylic frag plugs from a LFS. And I guess it could be a litho, certainly an unusual one.

treylane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your litho is the "pink hentai" or "ironman litho" (same thing). It's not necessarily a litho, but lithophyllon undulatum is just the CLOSEST we could get to an ID, or the most-similar coral that there's hobby knowledge of. I'm betting it's a fungiid, but other than that, *shrug* ... you do have to admit there are many similarities between the structure of the pink one and the blue one posted in this thread though.

The fragfarmer 'pumpkin pie' (when you don't get a psammocora knockoff version) and this green one also appear to be the same species, whatever that species is:

july30coral-2.jpg

And another pic of the pink one if it helps anybody with an ID

july30coral-16-tbn1.jpg

Good luck with a real ID!

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Pink Hentai Litho. I bought a frag from Roe's Marine World before they went OOB. I'll try to get a pic up later after my lights go on.

Lithos are up for sale on Diver's Den periodically. I've never seen any that were not either green or blue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Treylane may be on to something. But yeah I've never seen a litho that was not blue or green.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.2%
Back