Red/Brown Hair Algae?

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Recently I started to get some diatoms in my well established aquarium. During the same time I begin to experience this growth primarily starting on the glass and working its way onto the rock work. Is this brown hair algae or red hair algae? I can not tell. My phosphates are a little high which now I am working on lowering them. I tried to get some good pictures of it.

Will it just disappear once nutrients are under control? Will something eat it one it starts dying off? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_7901.JPG

IMG_4155.JPG

dhuynh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like brown algae to me. My tank had that for a couple of months. My tangs picked at it but didn't really take care of the problem.

I got rid of it by taking care of my nutrient level, 2 day black out, and by manual removal. Completely gone for me afterward.

What salt and water are you using? Maybe phosphate is getting into your system as well.

OP
OP
Derrick Picker

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea Blue bucket. I use a 55 gallon reservoir and do AWC 1 gallon per day on my 55. I have a Tomini tang but he hasn't done much yet. I picked up a bunch of tronchus snails as well. I will have my phosphates in line pretty soon and nutrients back to normal. I wasn't sure if it will just die out and disappear. I can maybe manually remove it but it will be tough in a number of areas as my reef is fully stocked. I was thinking maybe getting a lawnmower blenny as well.

dhuynh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower are great!

You can also try the Red Sea Algae management program. If it's only in one spot in the corner, you can try adding flow there. Maybe there's detritus there causing a problem.

OP
OP
Derrick Picker

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a ATS so I probably shouldn't be adding any additional nutrient control as it will mess it up. I am doing GFO for a few days to get my phosphates back to normal as they are .11 now but then removing it as the ATS will do the rest hopefully.

Ritty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fix the lighting for sure, and also there is a huge slug that eats it but i currently blanked and forgot the name try searching it

dzolot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Derrick. I also have an ata and have been battling a very similar looking algae. Any advice would be appreciated! Looked up the sea hare and red that it can release a toxin when scared that can harmful to fish.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

dzolot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Derrick,
Is the sea hare helping the hair algae situation? Also, where did you get it? Thanks!

Back