Red bugs in reef tank

Tylermacdonald15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red bug problem in my 210 reef. Some of my acros are encrusted onto big rocks so I can't just take them out to dip them. The interceptor treatment seemed easy enough until I found out that they don't make it anymore. I would get a dragonface pipefish to eat them but I'm not a fan of taking fish from the wild that have such a low success rate. Besides that I quarantine my fish for a 1 month minimum so the chances of even getting the pipefish through quarantine is slim. Does anyone have any solutions to this problem? Is there a new product in replacement for interceptor that works?
Thanks

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, interceptor spectrum is now what's available. Same active ingredient, same effective result.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, interceptor spectrum is now what's available. Same active ingredient, same effective result.

+1 interceptor spectrum can be found online pretty easily...need to order t from Australia but it gets here pretty fast.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will kill your acro crabs.

And possibly hermit, ornamental shrimp as well as your pods to some degree. It's a great treatment, I would use it again in a heart beat, but it does pose a risk to Arthropods.

OP
OP
T

Tylermacdonald15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And possibly hermit, ornamental shrimp as well as your pods to some degree. It's a great treatment, I would use it again in a heart beat, but it does pose a risk to Arthropods.

I'm going to take as many inverts out as possible. I have a breeding pair of cleaner shrimp that are very hard to catch, but I want them out. Since the interceptor I ordered is coming from over seas I will have a few weeks to get everything out before the treatment. The biggest negative I see is the loss of my copepod population.

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to take as many inverts out as possible. I have a breeding pair of cleaner shrimp that are very hard to catch, but I want them out. Since the interceptor I ordered is coming from over seas I will have a few weeks to get everything out before the treatment. The biggest negative I see is the loss of my copepod population.

copepods are easily replaced. multiple online vedore sell them

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've treated with the old interceptor time after time and my pod population always bounced back without any help at all. My shrimps and crabs were hit and miss to whether or not they died. I doubt it's much different now than with the old recipe.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, pods will take a hit but will come back. The stuff without a breed population not so well... Dang stone crab survived though.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to take as many inverts out as possible.
All inverts? Not necessary.
It will only target crustaceans. Just focus on those.

I've treated with the old interceptor time after time and my pod population always bounced back without any help at all. My shrimps and crabs were hit and miss to whether or not they died. I doubt it's much different now than with the old recipe.
Agree. Pods will bounce back. The larger crustaceans are hit/miss. It's a bit of a Russian roulette game with them.

OP
OP
T

Tylermacdonald15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All inverts? Not necessary.
It will only target crustaceans. Just focus on those.

Agree. Pods will bounce back. The larger crustaceans are hit/miss. It's a bit of a Russian roulette game with them.

So I should not worry about my snails and serpent stars then? They are actually the easiest to get out but if I don't need to do it I'll save the time And just work on my emerald crabs and shrimp.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Don't have this issue, but earning never ends and good info to know in case~!!

tangdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the amount of active ingredients and also the doseage for pill size to gallons.
Also is it still the lg dog size. Thank u

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this is good news if it is true.

WVUreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interceptor is also now manufactured by the same company under the name sentinel...same active ingredient..

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back