Red Flame Scallop

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A local LFS have a few flame scallops available, documentary and report from other folks that these scallop last around 1 year in home aquarium and its required target spot feed and often listed at an expert care level from online vendors. Its quite intimidating from reading how to care for this scallop LOL so should I get it?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get more than one. Quite often they come in to the store in poor health. My current red scallop is the last of three. The other two lasted a month or so, this one is going on two years or so.

Over skimming and over filtration is An obvious no no. I also have a large refugium in my 55. I only occasionally feed feed phytos. But my foods do contain spirulina and other stuff.

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! They have 4 and seem like 1 already dead so I bought all 3 that still alive :) 9 bucks each so it's not a big deal if they are not going to make it. I stopped using skimmer so there is won't be over skimming, I'm running 2x Fluval G6 filter on this tank so I think it's a bit over mechanical filtration, well we will see what's happen next /cheer.

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics please :)

You can see a white light at the edge, it's their electric light.

Scallop 1.jpg

another one more clearer for the electric light.

Scallop 2.jpg

In the 1st picture on the left corner is a Osyter I bought from a local super market :) all 4 alives and opened up, I just don't know how long they gonna live in home aquarium, I'm gonna broadcast feed PhytoGreen-M daily so hopefully everyone can get some food and stay healthy.
***I'm gonna shop around Asian super Market for some Blood Clam, I was doubt about their life in a pile of ice but after some reading about them, these clams can live without water for days if the environment they are in moisture enough. Oh, these blood clams were collected at US coast beach in the tag description...I just don't know where hehehe!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3 scallops look like regained their strength, I guess they were belly fulled after the Oyster spawn incident lol.
They are now making thread to take hold at their favorite spot.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear! Did they attach were you can see them? A big complaint of people's is they hide. It's hard to convince them to pick a spot where you can.

Beautiful animals, not good listeners.

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear! Did they attach were you can see them? A big complaint of people's is they hide. It's hard to convince them to pick a spot where you can.

Beautiful animals, not good listeners.
Seem like they attached to the interface of sand/rock work (vertical rock), for now they are facing in my view favor but until they attached the current spot permanent then thing might change later on, I didn't change my water flow so I hope after they are learn and pick the best spot of flow then I think they will stay there for good.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the latest picture, the third one join the group too, I don't know how they find each other but they did it, amazing little critters like @saltyfilmfolks said previous post :)
Red Flame Scallop 3.jpg
That's the cutest picture ever

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it normal that their tentacle become white in color?
In the last picture you can see the third one (far right) its tentacle started fading out to white but still look/doing fine.
I search around google and there some red scallop with white tentacle so I'm not sure it normal or something going on that I need to fix?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it normal that their tentacle become white in color?
In the last picture you can see the third one (far right) its tentacle started fading out to white but still look/doing fine.
I search around google and there some red scallop with white tentacle so I'm not sure it normal or something going on that I need to fix?
Unfortunately I don't belive it's quite normal. Could be I suppose. But there's nothing to fix, save so what you're doing.
If it looks fine it prob is fine. You'll know when it's not.
You have an eye for Bi Valves. You for sure will know even if you haven't seen it before.

Looks fine is fine , fingers crossed.
;)

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A week later all 3 scallops still looking fine and stay at their chosen spot, they do turn left or right sometime but not moving out. I was tried to adjust the one that seem limited to open its shell due to rock work but I couldn't do anything because it anchored hard like it was super glued into the rock LOL.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back