Red Flame Scallop

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they are now all attached like the last picture there?

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I decided to take out all the sand (99%) since my tank bottom covered with small rocks I silicone glued them in place years ago for better water flow/circulation in tank, and re-arrange my rock work to get more spaces for the clams on the bottom, I moved the rock that those scallops attaching to different spot, 1x scallop released it abyssal thread this morning and trying to attached to a new spot, seem like its wanted to go up the rock work but I doubt it strong enough against the gravity to pull itself up the vertical wall lol, the new spot was behind my maxi clam so I loss some view but I think they are happy there without limited restricting their shell open like in the old spot.

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I mentioned about the scallop that trying to climb the rock, here is a picture I took earlier today before head out to work and I gave it the title "Scallop, The Climber".
Its finally got hang on the rock 3 inches above the bottom...How long its gonna last there? Time will tell before it will be "I...can't...hang...on........much.......longer............."
The climber.jpg

Also, due to the flow setup in my tank they always face out in my favor for viewing :)

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And its finally made it to the top...anyone give it a /clap :p
climb2.jpg

Another example that DO NOT under estimate these thing...Nature has it own power and this is a power of a bivalve!

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really amazed that its made it to the top but can it thread win over the constant gravity?
Well, "I...can't...hang...on........much.......longer............." Its fall off back to the bottom this morning leaving a bunch of broken threads on top edge of the rock :p
Time for me to give it a hand or a "touch" lol, I place it at a crevice interface bottom/rock near other scallop and hope its sense it buddy there and stop hopping around :)

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my first reef tank, 10 gal nano years ago, I had one for over 2 years. The latest one I tried, lasted a few weeks
So far all 3 scallops looking fine and close to 1 month in my tank, I don't know how long they will last in my system but I hope they will last for years like your old scallop!

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the "rock climber scallop" got my "touch" and it does not move anywhere, it's stay same exact spot I placed it, sometime I think I can understand what it needs hehehe my good imagination :) I should stay in Marine Life Major back in College since I love the ocean life a lot but I listened to the dang freaking counselor and change my major to computer engineer. /slap myself lol

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added one of these today, they look great. Hopefully mine has the longevity and success of yours, any tips?

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added one of these today, they look great. Hopefully mine has the longevity and success of yours, any tips?
My still doing fine...I just leave it alone and its doing well :p
My Coral Lobster (Enoplometopus Occidentalis) and Coral Beauty Angel don't even bother it.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is too, he just sits in his spot and never moves, I assume that means he is happy

Initialr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
always liked these because of their color and that bluish/white electric line. But never had much success, think the longest I've kept one is half a year.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back