red goni is not doing good

moorish999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my other corals are all happy except this beautiful red goni stsrted to thrinking cpl weeks ago....been one month or so...kh8.3 mg 1410 ca 450. ph 8 and no3 25 po4 0.2..tried to save by moving to low light low flow area....not really improving

IMG_20200521_180723.jpg IMG_20200521_180744.jpg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always noticed that gonis are a sensitive coral how long has tank been running and I would raise your PO4 up a bit.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve always noticed that gonis are a sensitive coral how long has tank been running and I would raise your PO4 up a bit.
What would be a recommended po4 for gonis?.

I'm still nailing down this phos thing and learning.....everything I read says that .2 is about as high as you want to go for a dirty tank such as softies and euphyllia, I'll add gonis to the list.

What do you run your po4 at?

OP what par is it at?

Last edited:

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go I’d are difficult to keep and nobody really knows the secret to keeping them long term, though some have. Maybe they will chime in

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm still nailing down this phos thing and learning.....everything I read says that .2 is about as high as you want to go for a dirty tank such as softies and euphyllia, I'll add gonis to the list.

OP what par is it at?
I run my PO4 at .03-.05 i run a t5 fixture they are getting pretty strong light anywhere in my tank.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water temp?

Lower your NO3 to 5-10. PO4 0.02-0.06

Higher in the tank. I have had mine explode in growth by placing it at the same height as my Acros. I would also try feeding it reef roids twice a week until it picks back up, then can start scaling back your feedings to once every 2 weeks.

Good luck! Goniopora has always been one of the easier coral for me to keep, they always grow the fastest compared to my other coral.

NanJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a similar Goni that was acting just like that in our QT. We were worried that we might lose it so we put it in the DT in fairly bright light and a good amount of flow. After a week in the DT it has extended most of its polyps about 1/2”. It seems happier in this location and “ate” today - a mix of BeneReef and Reef Roids. I think it was a video on Tidal Gardens that explained the eating response (slow) versus a defensive response (quick)

I read an article on Reefs.com about Goniopora that pointed out there are several species in the trade. Some like moderate to high light and flow while other species are at the other end of the spectrum. (I could not identify the species we have based on the article.)
https://reefs.com/magazine/the-successful-aquarium-culture-of-goniopora-species/

As sensitive as Gonis are my thinking is they don’t like being relocated any more than absolutely necessary. If yours has been unhappy in the same location for several days or more, I would try a change to the opposite light conditions - go brighter or dimmer than where it is now and let it stay there for a week.

Good luck!

OP
OP
moorish999

moorish999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP what par is it at?
i am running GFO randomly use NOPOX...po4 0.2 ppm.....spot feeding every three days

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i am running GFO randomly use NOPOX...po4 0.2 ppm.....spot feeding every three days
This is where im conflicted....most everyone says to run po4 around .05

My tanks want to hover around .2...With phosgaurd Im sticking around .1-.15

I want to bring it down more but some of my torches are not liking it and are losing color. I think it was stripping po4 too quickly and it made them mad.

Its definitely a balancing act.

Thanks for the info!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back