Red macro algae placement, ID would be great aswell

efish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend realized I had a saltwater reef and asked if I would like to pickup some macro algae(didn't specify) I said sure and here we are, it looks absolutely amazing, just want to find best place to place it, this tank is 9 months old and I'm battling gha, will it spread to this Macro algae?

20221203_154410.jpg 20221203_154415.jpg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a species of flat-bladed Gracilaria, which are decorative macroalgae. Gracilaria curtissiae, Gracilaria hayi, and Gracilaria mammillaris are all possibilities.
These macroalage grow more slowly, and, in my experience, are easily overtaken by faster-growing green macroalgae like Caulerpa. However, they are also not very palatable (mildly calcified), so your snails and other herbivores will be able to graze algae off the macroalage without harming it (with a few exceptions).

OP
OP
efish

efish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a species of flat-bladed Gracilaria, which are decorative macroalgae. Gracilaria curtissiae, Gracilaria hayi, and Gracilaria mammillaris are all possibilities.
These macroalage grow more slowly, and, in my experience, are easily overtaken by faster-growing green macroalgae like Caulerpa. However, they are also not very palatable (mildly calcified), so your snails and other herbivores will be able to graze algae off the macroalage without harming it (with a few exceptions).
Overall do they need more or less light than something like chaeto, also what's the best flow for it usually thanks for the reply!

TheMetalReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got mine with getting hit with medium flow. i had some bunched up like a bush in a low flow area and green hair algae started growing on it. it also seem to grow more densly with more flow.

OP
OP
efish

efish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got mine with getting hit with medium flow. i had some bunched up like a bush in a low flow area and green hair algae started growing on it. it also seem to grow more densly with more flow.
Dang I want to keep mine in a ball how do you get the gha off of the macro algae if it starts growing on it?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall do they need more or less light than something like chaeto, also what's the best flow for it usually thanks for the reply!
No problem! I have found that they are not particular about light and flow, though as mentioned by @TheMetalReefs, this macroalgae grows denser under higher flow.
Marine Plant Book says that Gracilaria hayi requires moderate light and moderate-high flow while Chaetomorpha requires low-high light and moderate flow.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh rip good luck, snails seem like a good plan any recommendations for a 10gal?
As mentioned in the linked video above, you mostly just want to avoid the Mexican turbo snail (Turbo fluctuosus). Various herbivorous snails will work (ex. Trochus and Astraea). It's also probably a good idea to manually remove some of the algae to help the snails out.

OP
OP
efish

efish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned in the linked video above, you mostly just want to avoid the Mexican turbo snail (Turbo fluctuosus). Various herbivorous snails will work (ex. Trochus and Astraea). It's also probably a good idea to manually remove some of the algae to help the snails out.
k, after a while I'm going to get a pincushion urchin for the gha in my tank, will it be able to maintain itself if I do add the urchin or should i remove it and add it back after it grows larger

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
k, after a while I'm going to get a pincushion urchin for the gha in my tank, will it be able to maintain itself if I do add the urchin or should i remove it and add it back after it grows larger
Urchins will consume macroalgae, so they will probably not be safe with the slower-growing Gracilaria.
What are your parameters like?

OP
OP
efish

efish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins will consume macroalgae, so they will probably not be safe with the slower-growing Gracilaria.
What are your parameters like?
Ammonia untraceable
Nitrate 6ppm
Salinity 1.025
Phosphate .02ppm
Calcium 450ppm
Any others you need?
I need to buy some more test kits, like alk but I didn't think it was nesssecary until I get sps

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your major nutrients of nitrate & phosphates are both low. Nuisance algaes like GHA, dinos & Cynobacteria have developed opportunistic strategies that thrive during low nutrients.

I suggest you increase nitrates & phosphates and add Gracilaria Hayi as both an ornaments & utility macro algae to your display.

OP
OP
efish

efish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your major nutrients of nitrate & phosphates are both low. Nuisance algaes like GHA, dinos & Cynobacteria have developed opportunistic strategies that thrive during low nutrients.

I suggest you increase nitrates & phosphates and add Gracilaria Hayi as both an ornaments & utility macro algae to your display
Oh dang what should my aim be with higher nutrients? Also don't I already have that macro algae? I am now only dealing with gha I got rid of my cyano and dinos

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back