Red Macro Algae Turning White

Petrichor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently downgraded my tank and after a few months I've noticed that my red sea lettuce (?) has not colored up since the move. It appears to be slowly growing, but very pale. My dragons' breath algae is doing well and I've had it for less time.

I assume the change may be because of the new lights, but I'm not sure if the new light is too strong or too weak. The original tank was a 20" deep with AI Prime LED, and now it's in a Fuval Evo 13.5 with standard lights. Same salt mix used as before.

So light too strong? Too weak? Or something else?

algae.jpg

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently downgraded my tank and after a few months I've noticed that my red sea lettuce (?) has not colored up since the move. It appears to be slowly growing, but very pale. My dragons' breath algae is doing well and I've had it for less time.

I assume the change may be because of the new lights, but I'm not sure if the new light is too strong or too weak. The original tank was a 20" deep with AI Prime LED, and now it's in a Fuval Evo 13.5 with standard lights. Same salt mix used as before.

So light too strong? Too weak? Or something else?

algae.jpg
What are you water parameters? Have you tried to put the macro in a shaded area to see if it is getting too much light from the new light change?

OP
OP
Petrichor

Petrichor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you water parameters? Have you tried to put the macro in a shaded area to see if it is getting too much light from the new light change?
I have a bit of loose algae that is in a more shaded area that's doing ok-ish, but I'm unsure if its success is because: 1) it's the largest and oldest piece (grown from my previous tank and larger than a half-dollar or so), 2) it's not anchored on a rock, or 3) it's the lack of direct light.

Parameters are:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: 0
PH: 8.2ish
Temp: 78F
Salinity: 1.026

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a bit of loose algae that is in a more shaded area that's doing ok-ish, but I'm unsure if its success is because: 1) it's the largest and oldest piece (grown from my previous tank and larger than a half-dollar or so), 2) it's not anchored on a rock, or 3) it's the lack of direct light.

Parameters are:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: 0
PH: 8.2ish
Temp: 78F
Salinity: 1.026
Did you have some nitrates in your last tank showing when all the algae was growing? It's possible in this new smaller tank they are competing more for the nutrients

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red macroalgae can be difficult, I can’t seem to keep red gracilaria alive myself either and i keep nitrates at 10. Odd part is I only see new growth in the display with reef lighting, dies off in the refugium with plant lighting and last time in display with plant lights. Not about to buy a new light for the fuge so guess I’m going back to chaeto.

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I’m gonna try swapping my fluval plant light on my fuges for a marine model, I’ll let you know if I see a difference. I had my photon 24-V2+ at 80% blues and violet, 10% red green and white and sprouting new growth. Maybe try turning the blue spectrums up.

OP
OP
Petrichor

Petrichor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have some nitrates in your last tank showing when all the algae was growing? It's possible in this new smaller tank they are competing more for the nutrients
Hmm, could be possible. I don't recall what my old tank parameters were at. I'll try feeding a bit more as I'm sure the corals will appreciate it regardless.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back