Red Montipora Cap - Did I make a Mistake?

ParticleMan

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 29, 2025
Messages
126
Reaction score
98
Location
Corona
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up this frag from one of my local LFS. I was looking for something I could attach to the vertical side of one of my rocks that would look nice and grow. What I didn't realize was this is a crazy fast coral that will basically just take over my fluval 13.5 tank. I haven't attached to anything yet, should i return it? Are they as scary as all the horror stories I've read now about them being the SPS equivalent of Xenias? Any advice on placement and/or return would be appreciated.

20260313_165101.jpg 1000012499.jpg 1000012509.jpg
 
Just picked up this frag from one of my local LFS. I was looking for something I could attach to the vertical side of one of my rocks that would look nice and grow. What I didn't realize was this is a crazy fast coral that will basically just take over my fluval 13.5 tank. I haven't attached to anything yet, should i return it? Are they as scary as all the horror stories I've read now about them being the SPS equivalent of Xenias? Any advice on placement and/or return would be appreciated.

20260313_165101.jpg 1000012499.jpg 1000012509.jpg
Monti caps are not as bad as encrusting montis, but they can take over the rock work. If you prune it and/or put it on an island, it should be fine. What par and flow do you get on your sand bed? It’ll want a decent amount of both.
 
Maybe someone can correct me but to me it looks more like setosa than a cap.
growth pattern does suggest setosa. While encrusting and modestly quick growing they’re easily worked with. I don’t think your tank is in imminent danger of being overwhelmed
 
Maybe someone can correct me but to me it looks more like setosa than a cap.
I agree, that looks like setosa. This is probably one of the easiest species to manage when it comes to controlling growth.
 
Awesome, the plan was to let it crawl up the side of the right tower...nice contrast with the white-bluish rock. Glad to hear that it is manageable. I guess LFS don't always know what they got. lol As for the flow it's very good, have a mini-hygger powerhead on the right side and dual RFG nozzles on the right with an upgraded 230gph pump. The light is an AI Blade Grown light.
 
Wow that's quite a bit. Guess it won't be long before I frag it.
 
Easy to frag both, but the Monti Cap grows significantly faster than the setosa. That one you have, as mentioned looks like a setosa.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 13.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new