Red planet and strawberry shortcake - no upward growth

Jeanette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red planet and strawberry shortcake are growing strangely. The strawberry shortcake continues to encrust, but does not grow upward. Plus it has these very spindly fingers that are growing horizontally or downward. Red planet is doing the same thing - except not encrusting. In the pic with the strawberry shortcake, my pink lemonade next to it is doing just fine. Any thoughts on what could be causing this? The only vertical part on the red planet is the original frag.

jmb05382.jpg

jmb05385.jpg

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It must be happy with the lighting and flow on the rock, Also,. I think they just like to take up as much surface area as possible before focusing on vertical growth. This is why there is a benefit to buying 2" frags as they tend to grow upwards and out, where as 1" frags focus on growing on their bases for sometimes a year +

OP
OP
J

Jeanette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It must be happy with the lighting and flow on the rock, Also,. I think they just like to take up as much surface area as possible before focusing on vertical growth. This is why there is a benefit to buying 2" frags as they tend to grow upwards and out, where as 1" frags focus on growing on their bases for sometimes a year +

Interesting comment regarding buying 2" frags instead of 1" frags.

OP
OP
J

Jeanette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flow, lighting? what are you running?

75 g tank. 2 MP40s - one on the side and one on the back + 1 Jaebo pump on the opposite side

Lighting is an Aquatic Life hybrid - 4 Blue+ bulbs with 2 Kessill 360s.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red planet and shortcake are notorious for basing out a bunch before showing much vertical growth, RP especially.
Most, but not all tabling acropora do this, I believe it is to ensure that future colony growth structure is adequately supported/anchored.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 32.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back