Red Sea 250 seem blew within minutes

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about something...

Did this failure happen suddenly or did it begin as a drip and become progressively worse?
Sounds like OPs just happened suddenly. I dont have a leak in mine but Im sure as heck keepin an eye on mine now

OP
OP
K

kgballer321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thats just horrible! Im now paranoid about my red sea tank…
I’m unsure what reefer model and series is more prone to this happening but yes it sounds more common then I thought 24 hrs ago. thoughts and prayers to all owners

OP
OP
K

kgballer321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is REDICULOUS. More cases of this than I can remember with Red Sea product!

I think it may be wise for all who have failed Red Sea tanks to get to gather and hire an attorney for a class action lawsuit.
24 hrs ago I’ve never heard of this but now after doing a quick search it sounds like way too many cases. Surprise there was no recall statement issued

Totroc3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I also had my Red Sea Reefer 250 split a seam about 3 weeks ago. I walked in the room and saw my pump spitting air and water so I wondered how my ATO could have run out of water in a day since I had just filled it. I got lucky in that my split seam was in the front left corner at the top 4”. It was a nightmare getting everything out and safe. I ended up replacing it with a new Red Sea 950 peninsula which has Euro bracing along the top and extra bracing around the bottom. They really need to step up since they know there are problems. I didn’t even bother contacting them about my tank since I bought it secondhand. I am totally paranoid about my 525 and my 350 doing the same thing.

OP
OP
K

kgballer321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like OPs just happened suddenly. I dont have a leak in mine but Im sure as heck keepin an eye on mine now
Keep an eye on the bottom seam if there is any indication of air bubbles, sand, specs of algae - anything aside from a intact black seam is a huge warning sign IMO

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man.... I thought it was only the bigger tanks that had this issue. So glad you were able to catch it quickly!
Same.
I have a reefer 170 that's probably 4 years old and I just set up a new 300 G2 3 months ago. I'll be keeping an eye on them for sure. Maybe its time I get that 8ft custom build going I've been thinking about and combine all three tanks I am running into one :thinking-face:

OP
OP
K

kgballer321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had my Red Sea Reefer 250 split a seam about 3 weeks ago. I walked in the room and saw my pump spitting air and water so I wondered how my ATO could have run out of water in a day since I had just filled it. I got lucky in that my split seam was in the front left corner at the top 4”. It was a nightmare getting everything out and safe. I ended up replacing it with a new Red Sea 950 peninsula which has Euro bracing along the top and extra bracing around the bottom. They really need to step up since they know there are problems. I didn’t even bother contacting them about my tank since I bought it secondhand. I am totally paranoid about my 525 and my 350 doing the same thing.
sorry to hear about your nightmare experience as well. Interesting to hear your tank seem failed on the top. Completely changes my views on resealing the bottom and throwing into my garage as a QT

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is common. just ask @brandon429. I think he's keeping a database of Red Sea failures.

The member you mentioned is posting failures but they have no database or formal method of tracking. At the moment it is a bit like throwing spaghetti at the wall with the most recent meatball sticking. Members here and elsewhere have asked them to create a simple Excel or Sheets document since they took this on.

Trust is earned. Never trust the local fish store until they've earned it!

This is true as one reads through the threads.

OP
OP
K

kgballer321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even if they warranty it, i would get rid of it and buy from a reputable company. big deal if they replace the tank,the damage done if you didnt catch it would be thousands. cant understand why anyone would have a red sea in there house.
Agree. I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep at night with a Red Sea in my house.

OP
OP
K

kgballer321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about something...

Did this failure happen suddenly or did it begin as a drip and become progressively worse?
3:00-
The seem showed several particles of sand entrapped in one spot - minutes later the seam significantly more particles of sand - a minute after saw pen size hole of water spraying out

- seconds later 8 “ wide water fall of water coming out

OP
OP
K

kgballer321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t understand this post. The seam failed within minutes on a 4-5 year old tank. So it failed in 4-5 years right?
It failed within Minutes of showing entrapped air/ sand particles which rapidly progressed... so however you like to view it.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why do I see this so commonly on these posts? Why would you set up another Red Sea after one failed?

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
That's a bummer OP, sorry to hear you're going through this. Hopefully Red Sea will make it right.

It always bothered me that the front glass of the Red Sea Reefers hang off the front edge of the cabinet. I guess it's for aesthetic purposes, but it seems like common sense that the front panel needs support.

1686940739882.png

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do I see this so commonly on these posts? Why would you set up another Red Sea after one failed?

If it’s a different design, why not? Besides just not wanting to deal with the company which I understand but if you want to be pragmatic just look at the build on its current merits relative to the competition.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m becoming desensitized to these events of late. I feel for anyone that goes through the mayhem that ensues from a tank failure. When the initial emergency is over take a timeout, enjoy a tasty beverage, and regroup. Major bummer, Best of luck.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3:00-
The seem showed several particles of sand entrapped in one spot - minutes later the seam significantly more particles of sand - a minute after saw pen size hole of water spraying out

- seconds later 8 “ wide water fall of water coming out

Yeah... I would definitely call that sudden.

Do you have any updates about how things have been going for you with the work; made any calls? Any of your calls returned? Hows cleanup going?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24 hrs ago I’ve never heard of this but now after doing a quick search it sounds like way too many cases. Surprise there was no recall statement issued

From what I've read, owners can't even get Red Sea to acknowledge there is a problem.

I have to say that I'm feeling a level of aggravation about this situation, and I don't even own a Red Sea tank.

Back