Red Sea 750xxl Help!!

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am very new and need your help with my Red Sea 750xxl tank. I just finally filled it and figured out kinda how to fill my sump enough so the water is running to and from tank normally. However now that the tank is on, the return pump flow into the tank itself pushes aside all my sand leaving a huge empty spot. I tried adjusting the flow valve to the tank but slowing that down slows down the flow to the return pump compartment on the sump leaving that empty again. Any ideas what’s causing this or what needs to be done to fix it?! Any help is greatly appreciated please!! Thank you!

F1528A46-EEE4-4EC9-8FFE-A0A648B2E868.jpeg

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What return pump are you using? Can you take a picture of the return nozzels? Do you have any powerheads or wavemakers running in the tank?
Sicce Syncra ADV Advanced 9.0 Aquarium Pump 2500 GPH
This is the return pump that I’m using, I purchased this because the manual recommended a couple pumps and this was one of them. I don’t have anything else in the tank at the moment.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank and how big is your return pump?
My tank is 160 gallons and my sump is another 40 gallons. The manual recommended this brand pump with a minimum GPH rate and I got this one, is this maybe too strong I didn’t want to get one that’s too weak and have it run in more pressure.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But shouldn’t the tank run fine without getting any sort of attachments, I wanted to keep the tank simple and make use of how their originally designed.
Had the same issue with my 525. I got this splitter and problem was solved.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 160 gallons and my sump is another 40 gallons. The manual recommended this brand pump with a minimum GPH rate and I got this one, is this maybe too strong I didn’t want to get one that’s too weak and have it run in more pressure.

ah usually we go with about max 10x the volume of the tank....you are a bit over that. Usually you'll want about 3x-5x the DT volume turn through your sump per hour. You'll have to diffuse it as mentioned above. There's some head loss due to the sump, but no that much. Here:

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah usually we go with about max 10x the volume of the tank....you are a bit over that. Usually you'll want about 3x-5x the DT volume turn through your sump per hour. You'll have to diffuse it as mentioned above. There's some head loss due to the sump, but no that much. Here:

So maybe I should go with this pump instead? I thought going over the recommended might be better but I guess it’s not?
SICCE Syncra ADV 7.0 Pump designed for fresh and saltwater |Self Cleaning Impeller | 1900 GPH

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Splitting into 2 and then you can use line lock with different outlet nozzles to control your flow pattern better ( aim up in order to get surface agitation). The tank probably came bare bones setup, now it’s up to you to finish the setup how you want it. I doubt that red sea made any allowances for 2500gph flowing out of 1 spot. I’m thinking that’s like a fire hose.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with head loss sicce adv 9.0 would be just above recommended flow rate, i think locline splitters like others have said are the way to go

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So maybe I should go with this pump instead? I thought going over the recommended might be better but I guess it’s not?
SICCE Syncra ADV 7.0 Pump designed for fresh and saltwater |Self Cleaning Impeller | 1900 GPH

Just split the flow out of the return, it'll fix your problem.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run some oversized returns on tanks and split/diffuse it out of the return. Never had an issue. The only issues I have are with the ATO due to the return pump sucking so much it'll occasionally trip the ATO to "FILL" due to the inconsistent water level. Good luck!

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys so much for all your help! Do any of you recommend any bacteria bottles for a brand new tank, I saw a Dr. Tim’s? Any suggestions?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys so much for all your help! Do any of you recommend any bacteria bottles for a brand new tank, I saw a Dr. Tim’s? Any suggestions?
Yes, Dr Tim's One and Only is a fine bacteria for cycling. It isn't a full substitute for live rock in my opinion, but will certainly get you though the cycle.

Back