Red Sea Alk Test Kit

excellensephotos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the syringe reads 0.3ml on the Alk Test kit from Red Sea what is the value? I get confused when reading it backwards if anyone can help that would be great thanks a bunch. Maybe a photo with some pointers on it also to help others out if they need to learn to read it also.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing to 12DKH can wreck a tank too, unless you have the nutrient level to support accelerated growth.

You'll find most seasoned reefers keep their tanks around natural sea water levels of around 7DKH. A good middle of the road value is around 8.5.

OP
OP
excellensephotos

excellensephotos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing to 12DKH can wreck a tank too, unless you have the nutrient level to support accelerated growth.

You'll find most seasoned reefers keep their tanks around natural sea water levels of around 7DKH. A good middle of the road value is around 8.5.
So is 9.8 too high? My Calcium levels are also way out of range how can I get it at the recommended level and what is the recommended level for a mixed reef? Thanks

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you listen to Red Sea 12DKH for accelerated growth. But again you have to have the nutrient level to support it. Otherwise what end up happening is what we call "burnt tips" in SPS. The skeleton grows, but their is no nutrients to support tissue growth. So you get large white tips with no tissue(they look literally like someone burnt them).

What are your current levels?

What we typically reccomend for a newbie starting out.....

7 to 11 DKH
400 - 450 CAL
1300 MAG
Nutrient levels(nitrate and phosphate) can be anywhere as long as they are detectable on our hobby grade kits, and not 0's.

OP
OP
excellensephotos

excellensephotos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.25 Nitrate
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
PH 8.5
DKH 9.8
MAG 1500
CAL 550
Will a water change lower the cal and mag levels with a 25% water change?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your levels aren't super elevated(other then maybe calcium).

What test kits are you using?

Ammonia being .25 I'm guessing API which we all know gives a false positive for ammonia(.25) in SW.

OP
OP
excellensephotos

excellensephotos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how high your NSW is? What brand of salt are you using? Have you tested the levels in a new batch?
I'm using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
Depends on how high your NSW is? What brand of salt are you using? Have you tested the levels in a new batch?
I was asking because I see so many people using GFO and Red Sea NoPox and all this stuff but what levels are they trying to maintain? There's people dosing po4 and nitrate while others are trying to remove it. Which is a more viable solution for a mixed reef low nutrient levels or high nutrient levels. Is this debatable or is it 100 percent proven in the mixed reef environment?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back